32. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (16-metre swimming pool), 14-acre gardens (outdoor hot pool), cookery school.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in outside bedrooms, not in main house.
room from £330. Breakfast £16.50–£25, à la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Stunning’, super-hip yet utterly serene, this country house hotel and spa in the heart of the New Forest is a sophisticated, rustic playground for the stylish set. The Regency manor house and its collection of lodges and cottages stand in extensive grounds adjoining forest and parkland. Strike a vriksasana pose in the rooftop herb garden, jog around the gardens with a personal trainer, lie back for Ayurvedic and holistic therapies in the spa, learn tricks of the culinary trade in the new cooking school. All is ‘relaxed’ yet ‘professional’; ‘extremely friendly’ staff ensure ‘a lack of airs and graces’. The bedrooms, in calm-inducing colours, have been designed for countryside cocooning. Pick a main-house room overlooking woodland, or go deep: forest cottages for families and larger groups blend into their surroundings. With chefs Angela Hartnett and Luke Holder, the Italian-inflected food is ‘superb’: tortellini, nduja, buttered cock crab at dinner; omelettes with garden herbs in the morning. Children are made very welcome: bikes and trikes are available to borrow, family foraging courses are like a forest treasure hunt. (John Walton, and others)
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
- The Independent: Britain’s best spa hotels
- Independent.co.uk: 10 Best British Country House Hotels
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner