10. 8 in Pullman carriages.
all year except 23–26 Dec.
lounge/bar/breakfast room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), platform/terrace, 2-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
‘soft ’20s, ’30s, ’40s music’ at breakfast.
not under 10.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B £100–£198.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Train buffs make tracks for this ‘quirky’ B&B, occupying a handsomely restored timber-built late Victorian station and four refurbished Pullman carriages on the disused railway line. Gudmund Olafsson and Catherine Stormont, the ‘helpful, informative’ owners, have rebuilt and redecorated with colonial flair: check in at the old parcels office, then take afternoon tea in the former waiting room, now a smart lounge with pink panelled walls, vintage industrial lamps, intriguing objets d’art, leather armchairs, and black-and-white photographs of the train line’s heyday. Two bedrooms are in the station building, one reached via a cast iron spiral staircase. Dreaming of riding on the Orient Express? Sleep, instead, in one of eight snug bedrooms in the stationary carriages. ‘Clean and comfortable’, they have Edwardian mahogany fittings and a proper bathroom. No dinner is served, but a local pub is a two-minute walk away. In the morning, sit down to a ‘wonderful’ breakfast in the lounge; in good weather, perch on the terrace overlooking a screen of trees – the blast of train whistles has been replaced by birdsong. (Barry Nichols)
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Visit Britain: Expect the unexpected at these 8 hotels
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- AskMen: 10 UK hotels in unusual buildings
- MSN Travel: Top 10 romantic hotels in the UK
- Huffington Post: Three Amazing Hotels – A Railway Station, a Lighthouse and a Bank
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.