18. 1 on ground floor, 2 in stables, 1 in lodge (1 mile from main house).
drawing room, library, card room, bar, 2 dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, terraces, 108-acre estate (fishing, ghillie available).
all ages welcomed (children’s menu, baby-listening, games).
allowed, not in restaurant, or ‘near afternoon tea table’.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B £190–£425, D,B&B £255–£490. Set dinner £44. 1-night bookings refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide Review
A Regency fishing lodge built for Georgiana, Duchess of Bedford, stands in a ‘magical’ landscape of grottoes and follies created by Humphry Repton, on the banks of the Tamar. ‘I confess I never [was] so well pleased myself,’ exclaimed the Duke, when he saw Repton’s plans; our readers agree: ‘A walk around the beautiful grounds makes one feel so good to be alive.’ Within the cottage orné, Olga Polizzi contrasts rustic simplicity with antiques, hand-painted wallpaper and modern artwork. There are blazing fires, fresh flowers, a library thick with books; ‘at night, myriad small candles burn in the public areas’. Many of the ‘charming’ bedrooms have views over the gardens; for more space, splurge on a new suite in the converted stables, with a sitting room, and a kitchen dresser for preparing coffee and tea. Come dinnertime, sit down to Jose Graziosi’s ‘good’, ‘reasonably priced’ modern European dishes, perhaps hare arancino, Parmesan; partridge pithivier, pancetta, wild mushrooms. ‘A memorable experience.’ (Ann Reynolds, and others)
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- MSN Travel: The best UK staycations in Summer
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits
- Daily Mail: 10 best hotels in Britain
- The Independent: Ten of the best UK hotels with gardens
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.