Good Hotel Guide Review
Heathery tones and tweedy fabrics bring a breath of fresh Orkney air to this family-owned hotel in a peaceful area just beyond the city centre. It is run in two Victorian villas, Dunstane House, and Hampton House, opposite. Luxurious suites have a high ceiling, a deep copper bath; all rooms have heritage styling and a comfortable bed, pampering Scottish products, home-made shortbread. In Ba’ bar, rich hues, leather bar stools, monochrome photographs and a wide selection of craft spirits; in the lounges, colourful velvet chairs and sofas. In the dining lounge and bar (in Dunstane House), modern Scottish dishes (crispy haggis bonbons, hand-dived scallops) are available throughout the day. Buses to the centre; those to the airport stop right outside.
4 West Coates and 5 Hampton Terrace
0131 337 6169
35. In 2 buildings, 18 in Hampton House.
bar, 2 lounges, conservatory, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, garden, parking.
in bar and lounges.
all ages welcomed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single from £149, double £154–£525, D,B&B double £204–£595. À la carte £30. 2-night min. stay preferred Sat night in peak season.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Dunstane Houses
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s pick of the ten best luxury boutique hotels in Scotland
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: New Scottish additions to 2019 Good Hotel Guide