Good Hotel Guide Review
The Dunstane Houses has recently changed ownership. The epitome of tweed chic, two handsomely refurbished Victorian villas – Dunstane House, and Hampton House, opposite – make up one smart hotel, in a peaceful area just beyond the city centre. From ‘cosy wee singles and doubles’ to luxurious, high-ceilinged suites, bedrooms (some dog friendly) are kitted out in heather-toned heritage style and supplied with Scottish bath products and home-made shortbread. In Ba’ bar, find monochrome photographs and a wide selection of rare and vintage craft spirits; in the clubby lounge, velvet armchairs and sofas. Modern Scottish dishes, including promising vegan and vegetarian options, are available all day. Buses to the centre and the airport stop outside.
4 West Coates
0131 337 6169
35. 18 in Hampton House, opposite.
lounge/bar, conservatory, residents’ lounge and breakfast room in Hampton House, in-room smart TV, wedding facilities, garden, parking.
in bar, lounge.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms (not unattended), conservatory, garden.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £149–£395, double £184–£790. Prix fixe menu £32 (2 courses), £36 (3 courses). 2-night min. stay preferred Sat in peak season.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Dunstane Houses
- Best Ever Christmas: Thrilling Christmas attractions and places to stay
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s pick of the ten best luxury boutique hotels in Scotland
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: New Scottish additions to 2019 Good Hotel Guide