25. 1 suite in Beach House, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
lift, bar, restaurant, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, free Wi-Fi, civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds on 26-acre island (30-metre natural sea swimming pool), unsuitable for disabled.
1920s and1930s in bar, live Wed, Sat with dinner in ballroom.
not under 5, no under-13s at dinner.
 per room D,B&B from £400. 1-night bookings refused Sat, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Arrive by sea tractor (‘an experience in itself’) to fully appreciate this ‘amazing’ Grade II listed hotel – an ‘Art Deco tour de force’, and a dreamlike tribute to the now-faded glamour of the 1930s. ‘It’s a complete one-off.’ The setting, on a tidal island at the end of Bigbury beach, is ‘magical’: ‘What total pleasure, to walk round the island with a gin and tonic as the sun set, then to sit by the roaring fire in the Pilchard Inn.’ Pick among bedrooms individually decorated with vintage finds in period style, each given the name of one of the hotel’s famous – and infamous – guests (Josephine Baker and Gertie Lawrence among them). ‘A sofa set by the window in our room made the most of the amazing sea views.’ Dinner is a ball – almost literally. ‘It’s simply impossible to be overdressed at Burgh Island,’ the owners say; give in to the spirit of the place, and show up in black tie or evening gown. Chef Tim Hall’s daily-changing menus are ‘very good’; in the morning, an ‘outstanding’ breakfast awaits. (AT)
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- Visit Britain: Seven hotels to make you go wow
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner
- MSN Travel: Top 10 romantic hotels in the UK