19. Some on ground floor, 1 in boatshed, 1 self-catering cottage.
Easter to New Year.
drawing room, library/bar, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, 120-acre grounds on loch, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed.
allowed ‘for a small fee’.
all major cards.
 per room B&B £217–£330, D,B&B from £277. À la carte from £30, tasting menu £60.
Good Hotel Guide Review
The scene is pure theatre: the Scottish baronial mansion, built in 1834, with turrets, chimneys and crow-stepped gables, stands against a backdrop of Loch Awe. Inside, owner Bennie Gray, an antiques dealer, has filled the place with ‘eccentricity’ and ‘a pleasingly old-fashioned air of country house grandeur’. Enter into the ‘unstuffy’ atmosphere of a private house – albeit one abounding in oil paintings, statuary, ‘quirky’ objets d’art. The ‘magnificent’ drawing room has mirrors, ‘beautiful’ antique tables, a ‘fine-looking’ Bechstein grand piano. From each of the public rooms, take in ‘superb, romantic views’ over lawns, down to the loch and over to the peak of Ben Lui. The bedrooms, each different, all ‘beautifully furnished’, were the work of a set designer for Scottish Opera. For a night under the stars, book the converted boathouse in ‘a glorious position’ on the water. Come dinnertime, chef Colin Cairns’s ‘excellent’ dinner is served in the ‘elegant’ dining room (white napery, candles, silver) – try the ‘perfectly tender’ beef. Mornings, after a ‘tasty’ breakfast, borrow bikes and wellingtons to explore the extensive grounds and ‘pretty’ loch-side bay.
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Visit Britain: 8 gorgeous hotels to hibernate in over the British winter
- Visit Scotland: Six innovative hotels in Scotland
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- Huffington Post: Top Five Most Beautiful Hotels in Scotland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Quintessentially Scottish Hotels
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner
- MSN Travel: Top 10 romantic hotels in the UK
Hogmanay Special Offer
15% off our exclusive Hogmanay package. Experience a New Year’s Eve like no other with an authentic Hogmanay celebration at Ardanaiseig.
You can see the package here
Please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.