14. 1 in folly, 4 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 12-acre garden.
not under 8 at dinner.
allowed in bedrooms (not unattended), not in restaurant.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B from £155, D,B&B from £245. Set dinner £49.50; 5-course tasting menu £69. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
VisitEngland Three Star Country House Hotel
Good Hotel Guide Review
Admirers of Sue and James Murray’s ‘characterful’, ‘beautiful old manor’ continue to sing its praises. ‘It is uniformly excellent, with high standards of hotel-keeping, comfort and service,’ says a guest this year. ‘Welcoming and hospitable’, the Murrays ‘create a very friendly atmosphere’; ‘they are always on hand to give advice and answer any questions’. Once home to the Duke of Albemarle, ‘the hotel is full of history, including lots of antiques, portraits and books’. Individually decorated bedrooms (an oversized sleigh bed in one, a roll-top bath in another; glossy magazines throughout) overlook parkland and hillside, woodland or gardens. At aperitif o’clock, nibble on canapés by the log fire in the bar – ‘the owner served our drinks himself, chatting amicably’ – before sitting down to an ‘impeccable’ dinner. Chef Matthew Peryer wins acclaim for his modern dishes, perhaps citrus-roasted pollack, home-grown parsley root, steamed mussels and clams. Fruit compotes, yogurt, freshly squeezed juice and ‘copious’ amounts of smoked salmon are served at table at breakfast; ‘a great basket of various breads and freshly baked pastries just for the two of us’. (Richard Batson). This hotel is a member of Pride of Britain hotels.
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.
Hoome to a small herd of wild goats and some sheep.