The Lord Crewe Arms
Now part of the small stylish Calcot Collection, this hospitable hotel has weathered stones that were laid in 1165 at the founding of Blanchland Abbey. Once the abbot’s lodge with guest quarters, kitchen and dining room, it retains in its gardens the cloisters where the white-robed monks walked. After the dissolution of the monastery in 1539, the lodge was reincarnated as a manor house, used for hunting by Northumbrian aristocrats, before later becoming a local inn for moorland lead miners, its name originating from the previous owner, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham. It still reeks of history with flagstone floors, barrel-vaulted ceilings and an enormous fire, along with bedrooms in former miners’ cottages.