Good Hotel Guide Review
The slightly austere facade of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire’s hotel on the Chatsworth Estate belies the country house comforts within. ‘We so appreciated the deep pile and warmth on a snowy day,’ write trusted readers. ‘Our rooms were wonderfully cosy, with fabulous views.’ All bedrooms have a minibar with fresh milk, ‘scrumptious Chatsworth biscuits’ and luxury toiletries. Many have a four-poster, while works of art from the owners’ collection are displayed throughout. The staff are ‘watchful without being intrusive, so that wishes were guessed at and granted’. Tea by ‘a roaring fire’ elicited a niggle (‘my delicious macaroons were just a bit too cold’) – the exception that proves the rule of all-round excellence. In the Gallery restaurant, Adam Harper uses Chatsworth farm and estate produce in his fixed-price menus for carnivores and vegetarians. ‘The food was beautifully prepared and imaginatively presented.’ You can eat more simply in the Garden Room. An ‘outstanding breakfast’ is served at the table, ‘no hopping up and down to a buffet’. (Abigail Kirby-Harris, Jill and Mike Bennett, and others)
28. 2 on ground floor, 4 in converted coach house, 2 suitable for disabled.
lounge/bar, 2 restaurants, 2 private dining rooms, function facilities, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, ½-acre grounds, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed.
guide dogs allowed in 2 bedrooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £160–£350, double £180–£450. Tasting menu £85, set menus £58, Garden Room à la carte £32 (pus 5% for distribution to staff). 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: Amazing UK staycation hotels
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels for summer holidays
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Visit Peak District: 5 truly romantic hotels in the Peak District and Derbyshire
- Sunday Post: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Stoke Sentinel: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
- Evening Standard: 5 best hotels in the Peak District