Good Hotel Guide Review
A stay among the spoiling country house comforts of The Cavendish is about as close as you can get to staying on the Chatsworth Estate. All but one room overlook the grounds of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire’s grand Derbyshire home, which is a stroll away by footpath. From the moment you arrive, with bags whisked away by ‘very friendly and helpful’ staff to your room, you feel cosseted. Bedrooms are comfortable with antique furniture mixed with smart contemporary fabrics and wallpapers, perhaps a brass bed or four-poster, art on the walls, and fresh milk and ‘scrumptious’ Chatsworth biscuits awaiting. One reader found the road noise disturbing on a muggy night, with the window open. Public rooms include furnishings and art from the family’s collection. For dinner, there’s a choice of more casual surroundings and dishes – steak, fish and chips, sharing platters – in the Garden Room or fine dining in The Gallery. The latter’s menu might include estate venison with blackberries, and monkfish with crab mousse. Good cooked breakfasts are served until late in the morning. ‘A relaxing stay in splendid surroundings.’ (A K-H, J and MB)
28. 2 on ground floor, 4 in converted coach house, 2 suitable for disabled.
lounge/bar, 2 restaurants, 2 private dining rooms, function facilities, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, ½-acre grounds, EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £10 (excl. breakfast).
allowed in 1 bedroom (£20 per night), not in main house.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £200, singles from £180. Set 2-course menu £48, 3-course £58 (Gallery), à la carte £40 (Garden Room). 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: Amazing UK staycation hotels
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels for summer holidays
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Visit Peak District: 5 truly romantic hotels in the Peak District and Derbyshire
- Sunday Post: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Stoke Sentinel: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
- Evening Standard: 5 best hotels in the Peak District