Good Hotel Guide Review
Comfortable, pretty and very English’, the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire’s smart hotel on the Chatsworth Estate delighted readers this year. They received ‘a warm welcome’ from a member of staff, who carried their bags up, and ‘reappeared within minutes with a small jug of cold milk for our minibar’. Their bedroom had ‘a lovely brass bed, a wonderful view beyond the old apple tree laden with fruit, to the fields’. Even ‘standard’ rooms are tip-top, with comfy armchairs, posh toiletries, Chatsworth biscuits, prints and paintings. Superior rooms have a sofa, perhaps a four-poster. Coach House rooms have hand-picked antiques from the stately home. Bathrooms are ‘modern and efficient’. In the Gallery Restaurant, chef Adam Harper uses local and estate produce in such complex dishes as saddle of hogget, kidney and smoked pancetta suet pie, red cabbage, yeast, roast root vegetables, fondant potato. You can eat more simply and very well in the Garden Room – maybe fish pie, a rib-eye steak. At breakfast there is freshly squeezed orange juice, organic porridge, yogurts from the farm shop, eggs Benedict, poached kippers, the full Chatsworth. ‘We loved it.’ (Catrin Treadwell)
28. 2 on ground floor, 4 in converted coach house, 2 suitable for disabled.
lounge/bar, 2 restaurants, 2 private dining rooms, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, ½-acre grounds, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
background in Garden Room.
all ages welcomed.
only guide dogs allowed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £120–£430, double £140–£450. Tasting menu £85. Set menus £43–£63, Garden Room à la carte £30. 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends, Christmas.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels for summer holidays
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Visit Peak District: 5 truly romantic hotels in the Peak District and Derbyshire
- Sunday Post: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Stoke Sentinel: Top 10 hotels in the Peak District
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
- Evening Standard: 5 best hotels in the Peak District
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK