Good Hotel Guide Review
Guests can follow the Speyside whisky trail from the Marshall family’s bay-fronted Victorian house, then return to sit by the fire with a dram from a list of fine malts and rare single-barrel casks. The atmosphere is warm and informal; Sonia and William have distilled the essence of Scottish hospitality with ‘the enjoyment of their guests at heart’, and are a mine of local information. Of the six bedrooms, in eclectic country house style, ‘lovely, well-furnished’ Dunnottar looks out to one of the ancient woodlands encircling the town. Dual-aspect Craigievar has a bathroom with double-ended bath and walk-in shower, views of woods and the Cromdale hills. Guests gather for drinks in the drawing room, with ‘little treats on savoury biscuits’, before a ‘simply served’ but delicious four-course dinner, cooked from locally sourced produce by Sonia. Dishes include the Culdearn steak, ‘so tender it melted in your mouth’, with a Drambuie sauce, or monkfish tail with crayfish and Parmesan sauce. Breakfast, with free-range eggs, is ‘all one could wish for’ before a day that might be spent fishing, birdwatching, or on a whisky tour.
6. 1, on ground floor, with wet room, suitable for disabled.
all year except Feb, Mar, Christmas (open New Year).
drawing room, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), ¾-acre garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible, parking.
aged 10 and upwards welcomed, younger children by arrangement.
only guide dogs.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £160. Fixed-price dinner £48.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 of the top hotels for a New Year break in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best country house stays Scotland has to offer
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Huffington Post: Top 10 UK hotels for whisky lovers
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits