Good Hotel Guide Review
On the edge of the Cairngorms national park, William and Sonia Marshall’s bay-fronted Victorian house looks on to a tract of the ancient woodlands that surround Grantown-on-Spey. It is more ‘fine guest house’ than hotel, say readers. When our inspectors last visited, they found ‘an atmosphere of comfort and warmth’, the six bedrooms done in eclectic country house style (dual-aspect Craigievar has some fine antiques). The Marshalls are welcoming hosts: ‘We had a very pleasant room, and interesting chats with the man of the house.’ Guests gather for drinks before dinner in a lounge ‘with family photos on the sideboard'. Mrs Marshall’s nightly-changing menus, which some readers report are 'more akin to home cooking than fine dining', are a showcase of local ingredients: free-range eggs, humanely reared beef and fish from the Moray coast. ‘The meat and game were so tender and full of flavour.' At breakfast there is ‘lovely fruit salad, home-made marmalade, and a good choice of cooked dishes’, including haggis. Fishing, shooting, golf, wildlife-watching and whisky tours can be arranged.
6. 1 on ground floor, with wet room, suitable for disabled.
all year except Feb, Mar, Christmas (open New Year).
drawing room, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), ¾-acre garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
10 and upwards welcomed, younger children by arrangement.
only guide dogs.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £125–£150, double £160–£180, D,B&B £110–£175 per person. Fixed-price dinner £48.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 of the top hotels for a New Year break in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best country house stays Scotland has to offer
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Huffington Post: Top 10 UK hotels for whisky lovers
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits