Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Our stay at William and Sonia Marshall’s delightful small country house could not have been bettered,’ write Guide regulars. ‘We so enjoyed their warm, personal service.’ The Victorian villa, built in 1860 for Lord Seafield’s daughter, retains the atmosphere of a family home, with open fire, paintings, photographs. Bedrooms are individually styled with a mix of antique and contemporary furniture. Dual-aspect Craigievar has views of the hills of Cromdale and local woodland, a double-ended bath and separate shower. Dunnottar, writes another reader, ‘is a lovely room with attractive, soft, blue-patterned wallpaper, not large, but it felt roomy enough’. At 7 pm guests gather for drinks. ‘Mr Marshall was there to chat. We had a local gin and tonic with delicious little treats on savoury biscuits.’ Sonia Marshall’s short menus showcase local produce. ‘We had Cullen skink, venison and lamb, cooked to perfection, and for dessert a pavlova with raspberries and passion fruit.’ Whisky aficionados are in Scotch heaven. In the morning, ‘the breakfast menu offered a wide choice including Scottish favourites such as haggis. . . We picked a winner!’ (G and CF, J T-P, and others)
6. 1 on ground floor, with wet room, suitable for disabled.
all year except Feb.
drawing room, dining room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), ¾-acre garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
10 and upwards welcomed, younger children by arrangement.
not allowed, except for guide dogs.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person B&B single £125–£170, double £80–£90, D,B&B £110–£170. À la carte £48.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 of the top hotels for a New Year break in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best country house stays Scotland has to offer
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Huffington Post: Top 10 UK hotels for whisky lovers
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits