Good Hotel Guide Review
Wildlife spotters are in their element at this 18th-century lodge in ‘a beautiful setting’ on the shores of Loch Sunart. It once served as a garrison for troops hunting down Jacobite rebels, and was dubbed ‘The Barracks’, but it is anything but barrack-like now. A Guide trusty reports on a ‘major refurbishment of all public areas’ and new bedroom furnishings. The style is traditional country-house comfortable, as befits a hotel in these remote surroundings. Bedrooms have tartans, florals, stripes, antiques, home-made shortbread. One has patio doors onto a balcony, with loch and garden views. Bathrooms, some with bath and walk-in shower, have underfloor heating. You can eat casually in the brasserie, while, in the restaurant, a tasting menu includes dishes such as Angus beef fillet, smoked applewood mash, slow-cooked ox cheek, caramelised onion purée. One reader found the service at dinner below par, but our trusty fared better, with ‘excellent, pro-active service from a smartly dressed waiter keen to ensure warmth and comfort’. Breakfast on a kipper or a full Scottish before a day's mountain-biking, kayaking, boating or wild swimming. (Robert Gower)
all year except 14 Nov–6 Dec, restaurant closed Mon, Tues in Feb and Mar.
drawing room, lounge/bar, restaurant, brasserie, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, 22-acre grounds, EV charging, bar, brasserie, restaurant wheelchair accessible, toilet not adapted.
all ages welcomed, under-5s free, 5–12s on extra bed £95, with children's menu.
allowed in 5 bedrooms (£15 a night, towels, blankets), not in public rooms.
B&B doubles from £295. Set 7-course dinner £75 (restaurant), à la carte £48 (brasserie). Min. 2-night stay at certain times.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland 2021
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for New Year in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- The Standard: 10 of the best dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- The Independent: Top 10: Dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- Huffington Post: Five Tips for Paw-Fect Dog Hotel Stays