Good Hotel Guide Review
The long drive is worth it to this edge-of-the-world location, where a Georgian manse, with pretty, traditional rooms and superb food, overlooks a long sandy beach. Patricia Martin, co-owner with husband Tim, makes practically everything from scratch – from bread and cakes to pasta and ice cream – and greets guests with afternoon tea before they go for a walk (beach or hills) to work up an appetite for the nightly changing set dinner. 'We ate so well,' wrote guests. 'Gathering in the cosy sitting room before dinner with drinks and nibbles gave us a chance to compare notes with other guests and created a wonderful ambience.' Dishes could include langoustines with garlic and herb butter followed by chocolate cremeux. There’s a pretty blue dining room, a garden room for summer eating, and two sitting rooms with squashy sofas and fires. Bedrooms (three in outbuildings) have a no-nonsense traditional style with patterned wallpapers, solid wood furniture and pretty china. All have views of garden, beach or hills; two have sitting areas with sofa and wrap-around windows facing the sea. Sleep to the sound of the sea and awake to a generous breakfast. (Katherine Putnam)
Isle of Harris
6. 3 in annexe.
Until 14 Oct 2023, then 28 Mar-11 Oct 2024.
drawing room, library, 2 dining rooms, Wi-Fi not available in some bedrooms, wedding facilities, 1-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25, children's 2-course early supper £15.
allowed in bedrooms (£25 per stay for up to 2 dogs) and 1 public room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £285, singles from £205. Set dinner £67.50. Min. 2-night stay (ring to check 1-night availability).
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: 10 perfect hotels for Summer staycations
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View
- Huffington Post: Ten of the Best Scottish Hotels