The long drive is worth it to this edge-of-the-world location, where a Georgian manse, with pretty, traditional rooms and superb food, overlooks a long sandy beach. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
The long drive is worth it to this edge-of-the-world location, where a Georgian manse, with pretty, traditional rooms and superb food, overlooks a long sandy beach. Patricia Martin, co-owner with husband Tim, makes practically everything from scratch – from bread and cakes to pasta and ice cream – and greets guests with afternoon tea before they go for a walk (beach or hills) to work up an appetite for the nightly changing set dinner. Dishes could include monkfish with fennel and pea purée, and cherry clafoutis and almond ice cream. With notice, most diets are imaginatively catered for. There’s a pretty blue dining room, a garden room for summer eating, and two sitting rooms with a ‘homely atmosphere’, squashy sofas and fires; one has ‘wall-to-wall bookshelves’. Bedrooms (three in outbuildings) have a no-nonsense traditional style with patterned wallpapers, solid wood furniture and pretty china. All have views of garden, beach or hills; two have sitting areas with sofa and wrap-around windows facing the sea. Sleep to the sound of the sea and wake to ‘the lowing of cows and cry of seagulls’ and a ‘generous breakfast’.
Isle of Harris
6. 3 in annexe.
drawing room, library, 2 dining rooms, Wi-Fi not available in some bedrooms, wedding facilities, 1-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25, children's 2-course early supper £15.
allowed in bedrooms (£10 per stay) and 1 public room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £246, singles from £185. Set dinner £57–£65. Min. 2-night stay (ring to check 1-night availability).
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: 10 perfect hotels for Summer staycations
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View
- Huffington Post: Ten of the Best Scottish Hotels
Comments about Scarista House