Good Hotel Guide Review
Amid the evocative, sheep-grazed wetlands of Romney Marsh, between golf course and shingle beach, an Edwardian house built by Clough Williams-Ellis is now ‘a lovely, secluded hotel’. Drive down a bumpy road to receive a warm welcome from hosts Lisa and Clinton Lovell. Bedrooms – two with four-poster, some sea facing, with binoculars to train on France – are decorated in soft tones, with wicker armchairs. On cold days you might curl up by the fire in the first-floor lounge with a good book (say Russell Thorndike’s Doctor Syn: A Smuggler Tale of Romney Marsh). However, readers noted, ‘before dinner it was lit only by candles’, which ‘looked lovely’ but made reading tricky. Four nights a week, classically trained chef Clinton cooks a four-course dinner, maybe pan-fried skate cheeks; salt marsh lamb, braised red cabbage, fondant potato, Madeira jus. ‘The food is as delicious as ever, and when the young waiter noticed my hesitation, he asked if I would like the duck cooked a little more.’ ‘Personal style, a kind hostess, delicious food, an interesting building, good seaside walks. What more could you want?’ (M and JB, and others)
all year except Christmas and New Year, dining room open Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat for dinner only.
bar, sitting room, first-floor lounge with sea views, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), small function facilities, 1-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
aged 14 and over welcomed.
only guide dogs allowed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £95, singles from £80. Set dinner £53. 1-night advance bookings refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Romney Bay House
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Country Life: 7 of the best beach hotels in Britain
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- Visit Kent: 5 hotels near great Kent breweries
- The Sun Online: UK’s best hotels for £100 and under
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- The Independent: Ten of the best hotels for golfers
'Easter Weekend by the Sea' Special Offer
Easter weekend by the sea. Friday 15th – Monday 18th April 2022. Relax and enjoy a three night stay with a set four course dinner menu, inclusive of coffee & petite fours on Friday & Saturday evenings and a cheeseboard supper on Sunday, full English breakfast & VAT. Total 3 night cost for two people = £630.00. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.