Good Hotel Guide Review
With a superb sea view amid the elemental landscape of Romney Marsh, haunt of both writers and smugglers, this 1920s mansion was built by Clough Williams-Ellis. There are just the golf links on one side and the English Channel on the other. Guests arriving on four wheels bump down a rutted road but receive a warm welcome. Hosts Lisa and Clinton Lovell ‘could not be more gracious’. Two bedrooms have a four-poster, and all have binoculars (‘On the French coast, the light gleams, and is gone,’ to quote Matthew Arnold). ‘We had an excellent room, perfectly serviced.’ A cosy first-floor lounge is home to a log fire, books and games. Four nights a week, classically trained chef Clinton cooks a ‘delicious’ candlelit dinner ‘designed around what he has bought fresh that day’ (maybe locally landed cod or salt marsh lamb). On other nights you can order a simple supper. ‘We enjoyed a wonderful cheese platter with Merlot, looking out to sea as the sun went down.’ ‘The conservatory is a very nice spot’ for a ‘fabulous’ breakfast. (Jill and Mike Bennett, William and Hilary Rogers, and others)
all year except Christmas and New Year, dining room open Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat for dinner only.
bar, sitting room, first-floor lounge with sea views, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), small function facilities, 1-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
14 and upwards welcomed.
only guide dogs allowed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £80–£95, double £115–£160. Set dinner £49. 1-night advance bookings refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Romney Bay House
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Country Life: 7 of the best beach hotels in Britain
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- Visit Kent: 5 hotels near great Kent breweries
- The Sun Online: UK’s best hotels for £100 and under
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide