10. 8 in Pullman carriages.
all year except 20–31 Dec.
lounge/bar/breakfast room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), platform/terrace, 2-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
‘soft ’20s, ’30s, ’40s music’ at breakfast.
not under 10.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B (Station House) £110–£158, (Pullman carriages) £130–£240.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Pull into this converted train station and take up residence in one of the refurbished Pullman carriages on the disused tracks: ‘quirky and charming’, this is a B&B with a difference. It is owned by Gudmund Olafsson and Catherine Stormont, and run with ‘warm and welcoming’ staff. Check in at the old parcels office in the restored Victorian station building before heading to one of the ‘comfortable, well-furnished’ bedrooms. Each has been redecorated with colonial flair: two in the main building (one reached via a cast iron spiral staircase) have plantation shutters and a brass bedstead; those in the well-thought-out train carriages have Edwardian fittings and a ‘surprisingly spacious’ bathroom. The former waiting room is today a ‘wonderful space’ with leather armchairs, train memorabilia and black-and-white photographs of the railway’s heyday. Sit here for a cream tea or, in fine weather, take it under a parasol on the old platform overlooking lush greenery. The pubs and restaurants of Petworth village are a five-minute drive away; alternatively, a lively pub is just across the river and up the lane – a wind-up torch is provided for the stroll. (BN)
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Visit Britain: Expect the unexpected at these 8 hotels
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- AskMen: 10 UK hotels in unusual buildings
- MSN Travel: Top 10 romantic hotels in the UK
- Huffington Post: Three Amazing Hotels – A Railway Station, a Lighthouse and a Bank
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.