10. 8 in Pullman carriages, 1 room suitable for disabled.
all year except 23-26 Dec.
lounge/bar/breakfast room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), platform/terrace, 2-acre garden.
varied, in public areas.
not under 10.
per room B&B single £100, double £120-£252. Min. 2-night bookings Fri and Sat.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Now a ‘gracious’ B&B, this restored Victorian train station and princely Pullman carriages on disused tracks ooze the romance of travel’s golden age. The station was built at the behest of the future Edward VII, a fan of nearby Goodwood. ‘Warm, hands-on’ Gudmund Olafsson and Catherine Stormont run the show with ‘welcoming’ staff. Visitors head to the former parcels office to check in, while the elegant former waiting room is an inviting sitting area. These ‘charming, quirky spaces’ have deep leather armchairs, period lanterns and furniture, paraphernalia and black-and-white photographs of the railway’s heyday. ‘Comfortable, well-furnished’, colonial-style bedrooms, upstairs in the station building – one reached via a spiralling cast iron staircase – or in the thoughtfully finished carriages, have Edwardian fittings; a ‘surprisingly spacious’ bathroom. Cream teas and a ‘wonderful’ breakfast are served in the waiting room or outside under parasols on the old platform, next to lawns and verdant forest. A buzzy pub, just across the river and up the lane, is a good spot for evening meals (a torch is provided). Petworth’s shops and eateries are five minutes’ drive away. (JB)
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Visit Britain: Expect the unexpected at these 8 hotels
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- AskMen: 10 UK hotels in unusual buildings
- MSN Travel: Top 10 romantic hotels in the UK
- Huffington Post: Three Amazing Hotels – A Railway Station, a Lighthouse and a Bank
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.