Good Hotel Guide Review
Whether you stay in the Victorian lodge in Abergavenny Castle grounds, in the former stables, or in the main building, William Griffiths’s Georgian coaching inn on the edge of the Brecon Beacons continues to impress. Guide insiders endorse last year’s award of a César, noting ‘many good things’, from ‘best reading lights ever’ to a weather forecast delivered to your room, with advice on the next day’s activities. Bedrooms have neutral decor, contemporary furnishing, and a Villeroy & Boch or Fired Earth bathroom. Staff are ‘exceptionally helpful, willing and cheery’. William’s gallery-owner mother selects the artwork for public rooms, while the hotel bakery provides cakes for afternoon tea. You can dine in the Foxhunter bar or more formally in the Oak Room, where menus cater to all, including children and vegans. ‘At dinner a pianist played. We had delicious asparagus and lemon sole goujons.’ Alternatively, at sister establishment The Walnut Tree, veteran chef Shaun Hill holds a Michelin star. Breakfast, served until 11 am, brings smoothies, smoked fish, local sausages, a full vegan or full vegetarian. (A and CR, and others)
15 Cross Street
35. 2 in adjacent mews, and 4 cottages.
all year except 24–27 Dec.
lift, lounge, bar, tea room, restaurant, private function rooms, bakery, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, courtyard, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in restaurant and tea room, pianist in restaurant Fri and Sat dinner.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in the Foxhunter bar and courtyard.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £139–£259, À la carte £45. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Angel Hotel
- Country Life: 10 award-winning hotels to visit in 2020
- The Lady: Award winning hotels to visit in 2020
- Cosmopolitan: The 10 best hotels in the UK have been named, perfect for your next staycation
- express.co.uk: UK’s 10 best hotels revealed
- Daily Mail: The very best of British
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales