Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A lovely old building in a nice location’, this medieval coaching inn is set amid the pastoral landscape of Dedham Vale. With low beams, comfy sofas around a log-burner, and Suffolk ales on tap, the Sun inspires beams of satisfaction. ‘The food was excellent, likewise the beer and wine,’ a reader reports. Chef Jack Levine uses day-boat fish from Wivenhoe, humanely reared meat and locally grown organic and biodynamic produce in dishes such as red gurnard with crab sauce, turnip and saffron potato, or rare breed 42-55-day aged steak served with triple-cooked chips. The bedrooms, some with a view of St Mary’s church, have period furniture and bags of character. Boudicca has a fireplace and super-king brass bed; bay-windowed Constable has a half-tester. ‘Our room, Elsa, was large as described, the bed was comfortable.’ Service is exemplary: ‘Probably the hottest day of the year, but smiles were constant. Nothing too much trouble. We will definitely go back.’ Breakfast brings fresh orange juice, local farm eggs and Dingley Dell sausages. Outside, there is a pretty garden and all of Constable country to explore. (Ian Burchell, and others)
7. 2 across the terrace, approached by external staircase.
all year except 25/26 Dec. Closed Sunday eves.
lounge, bar, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), 1-acre walled garden (covered terrace, children’s play area, garden bar), parking, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, roll-out mattress £15.
in bar and Oak Room, in guest bedrooms by arrangement (no charge but subject to stringent terms and conditions), not in dining room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £175. À la carte £38, Sunday roast menu, 2 courses, £26.50.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Sun Inn
- My Weekly: 10 great value UK hotel breaks
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British inns
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Food and Travel: 10 of the best pubs with rooms
- East Anglian Daily Times: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Suffolk and North Essex in 2019
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- Huffington Post USA: Ten hotels to visit on Halloween
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gastropub Hotels
- MSN Travel: 10 gastropubs to get your mouth watering
Winter Warmer special offer
For November & December, The Sunn Inn is offering 10% off its Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate PLUS a welcome treat of 2 glasses of Digby English Sparkling Wine, or from 1 December, mince pies and mulled wine. The package is £225 per night. Dinner is to the value of £40 per person. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.