Good Hotel Guide Review
An ancient, rambling coaching inn in a village of wonky painted houses, The Sun glows with praise for its ‘genuine welcome’, ‘quick and affable service’ and ‘convivial’ atmosphere. Within Piers Baker’s mellow-yellow local lies an oak-panelled lounge, beamed ceilings and blazing fires, real ales on tap at the ‘gorgeous, curving’ burred elm counter, walls hung with works by local artists, old posters and photos. Bedrooms are smart and characterful. Spacious Elsa with a king-size oak bed, and Constable, with a half-tester, look over the street to St Mary’s church, home to John Constable’s ‘The Ascension’. Piers’s stated aim is to ‘make people happy’, and that includes his friendly, casually attired, youthful staff. You can eat in the split-level dining room or outside. Jack Levine’s menus of fish from Mersea day boats, rare breed steaks and game might include Merrifield Farm chicken breast, girolle, gnocchi ‘Cacio e Pepe’; roast cod with lentils and slow-roast San Marzano tomato. You can expect ‘copious portions’. After a breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice, set out to explore Constable country.
7. 2 across the terrace, approached by external staircase.
all year except 25/26 Dec.
lounge, bar, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), 1-acre walled garden (covered terrace, children’s play area, garden bar), parking, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, roll-out mattress £15.
in bar and Oak Room, in guest bedrooms by arrangement (no charge but subject to stringent terms and conditions), not in dining room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £150, singles from £90. À la carte £36, weekly set menu £20.50– £25.50 (2/3 courses).
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Sun Inn
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British inns
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Food and Travel: 10 of the best pubs with rooms
- East Anglian Daily Times: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Suffolk and North Essex in 2019
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- Huffington Post USA: Ten hotels to visit on Halloween
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gastropub Hotels
- MSN Travel: 10 gastropubs to get your mouth watering