Good Hotel Guide Review
Otters frolic on the banks as guests frolic in an outdoor hot tub at this old mill by a stream. A white-painted clapboard and brick structure, its chimney cutting ‘a striking silhouette’, it is run as a hotel by chef/patron Lee Bye. There are three bedrooms in the main mill, others in ‘good-looking buildings’ across the car park or along a path by the stream, as well as loft suites and chalet-style ‘meadow nooks’. All are ‘impressive’, with maybe a double-ended stone bath, a real-flame fire, a terrace. ‘Modern and minimalist’ bathrooms (some too minimalist for the bashful – ask when booking) have ESPA toiletries but little shelving for soaps or washbag. ‘An enormous bed, velvet easy chairs, a mini-fridge with milk and freshly squeezed orange juice’ were appreciated. In the bar, ‘the waterwheel is a dramatic feature’. In the ‘characterful’ dining room, ‘fetching views over the millstream’, and Mr Bye’s ‘inspired combinations of ingredients’. Perhaps Sika deer ‘Argyle’, spelt, green sauce, roots, honey porter; for vegans, roasted artichoke, Clem’s carrot, wild honey, coastal herbs. Breakfast brings home-made jam, smoothies, Dingley Dell sausages. ‘A wholly enjoyable experience.’
21. 18 in 2 separate buildings, 12 on ground floor, 6 in ‘Meadow Nooks’ in meadow, 2 with hot tub, 1 suitable for disabled.
bar/snug, restaurant, function rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, treatment room, 12-acre meadow.
in bar, reception and restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms (£15 a night), and in bar.
per room B&B £150–£415. À la carte £47, early dining (Sun–Fri 6.30–7.30 pm) £23, tasting menu £70. 2-night min. stay at weekends.
AA Three Rosette Restaurant
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 Hotels in Suffolk
- East Anglian Daily Times: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Suffolk and North Essex in 2019
- The Lady: 10 of the best restaurants with rooms for an autumn break
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
Three for Two Special Offer
Escape to rural Suffolk for a short break and stay for 3 nights for the price of 2. Stay in one of the Mill Stream Rooms from £430 per couple for three nights, including breakfast and VAT. This offer is available for stays Sunday to Thursday and is subject to availability. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide