Good Hotel Guide Review
Otters frolic on the banks as guests frolic in an outdoor hot tub at this old mill by a stream. A white-painted clapboard and brick structure, its chimney cutting ‘a striking silhouette’, it is run as a hotel by chef/patron Lee Bye. There are three bedrooms in the main mill, others in ‘good-looking buildings’ across the car park or along a path by the stream, as well as loft suites and chalet-style ‘meadow nooks’. All are ‘impressive’, with maybe a double-ended stone bath, a real-flame fire, a terrace. ‘Modern and minimalist’ bathrooms (some too minimalist for the bashful – ask when booking) have ESPA toiletries but little shelving for soaps or washbag. ‘An enormous bed, velvet easy chairs, a mini-fridge with milk and freshly squeezed orange juice’ were appreciated. In the bar, ‘the waterwheel is a dramatic feature’. In the ‘characterful’ dining room, ‘fetching views over the millstream’, and Mr Bye’s ‘inspired combinations of ingredients’. Perhaps Sika deer ‘Argyle’, spelt, green sauce, roots, honey porter; for vegans, roasted artichoke, Clem’s carrot, wild honey, coastal herbs. Breakfast brings home-made jam, smoothies, Dingley Dell sausages. ‘A wholly enjoyable experience.’
21. 18 in 2 separate buildings, 12 on ground floor, 6 in ‘Meadow Nooks’ in meadow, 2 with hot tub, 1 suitable for disabled.
bar/snug, restaurant, function rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, treatment room, 12-acre meadow.
in bar, reception and restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms (£15 a night), and in bar.
per room B&B £150–£415. À la carte £47, early dining (Sun–Fri 6.30–7.30 pm) £23, tasting menu £70. 2-night min. stay at weekends.
AA Three Rosette Restaurant
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 Hotels in Suffolk
- East Anglian Daily Times: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Suffolk and North Essex in 2019
- The Lady: 10 of the best restaurants with rooms for an autumn break
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide