Hever Castle B&B
If Anne Boleyn could return to her childhood home, she would be astonished to find a ‘wonderful B&B for history lovers’, housed in a ‘Tudor village’ in landscaped parkland with Italian garden, Japanese tea house and 35-acre lake. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
If Anne Boleyn could return to her childhood home, she would be astonished to find a ‘wonderful B&B for history lovers’, housed in a ‘Tudor village’ in landscaped parkland with Italian garden, Japanese tea house and 35-acre lake. Built for William Waldorf Astor in the early 1900s for the guest overflow from his fairy-tale moated castle, it ‘has been done exceptionally well’, says an inspector as it enters the main Guide. ‘Some bedrooms have elaborate plaster ceilings or beams, perhaps a four-poster.’ A twin was ‘delightful, with balloon-motif wallpaper and supremely comfy beds’. UHT milk was a minus, an umbrella a thoughtful plus. The Anne Boleyn wing is less grand than the Astor Wing, though the Edward VII suite has ‘superb castle views, an enormous bed as well as a sofa bed in the sitting area’. Breakfast, served till a rather early 9.30 in a ‘magnificent oak-panelled dining room’, included an excellent buffet, ‘superb avocado and poached egg on sourdough. I felt like bluff King Hal when I’d finished.’ Overnighters not only have use of lounge and billiard room, but the huge bonus of ‘out-of-hours access to the gorgeous grounds’.
27. Some on ground floor, some suitable for disabled, 1 adapted for wheelchair. Plus self-catering Medley Court cottage.
all year except 25 and 31 Dec.
lounge, billiard room, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, courtyard garden, tennis court, 625-acre grounds, breakfast rooms, lounges wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, cot £20, extra bed for under-13s £50, for 2 sharing sofa bed £65.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £175, singles from £110.
VisitEngland Five Star Guest Accommodation
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Hever Castle B&B
- Wanderlust Magazine: 10 of the best historic hotels in Britain
- Kent Life: Top boutique hotels for weddings in Kent
- Visit South Eastern England: 6 family-friendly hotels for half-term breaks in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- Visit Kent: 5 hotels near great Kent breweries
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 10 unmissable intimate wedding venues for small weddings