Good Hotel Guide Review
Amid rolling hills in an 'exquisite setting', where Shropshire nudges Herefordshire, Pippa and Willem Vlok’s restaurant-with-rooms is a picturesque set piece of medieval and Georgian farm buildings. It lies on the historic Downton Estate (not that Downton!), and caters to shooting parties, but you are as welcome to take tea outdoors and just shoot the breeze. 'The attention to detail is faultless yet there is nothing pretentious about this place.' Bedrooms occupy former stables and barns, some with lofty, beamed ceilings, perhaps an oak four-poster. 'Our room was beautiful with a vaulted ceiling, clever lighting, crisp white bed linen and a bathroom with everything you could want.' Enjoy a bottle of wine in the 'flower-filled courtyard which has a very French feel'. Or take a drink by the log-burner in a sitting room fashioned from a milking parlour. In a baronial-style dining room, Nick Bennett creates meals that are 'a taste explosion of perfection' that might feature guinea fowl with hipsi cabbage or bream with octopus and garlic beans. In the morning, 'waffles, bacon and maple syrup is a winner'. 'Completely outstanding.' (Ingle Dawson, and others)
Downton on the Rock
9. In buildings round courtyard.
all year, except Christmas.
sitting room, dining room, ‘museum’ (function room), in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 1-acre courtyard, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
soft classical in sitting and dining room.
allowed in 4 bedrooms by prior arrangement (£15 per dog, max. 2 per room, beds, bowls), only assistance dogs in sitting room and dining room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £215. Fixed-price dinner (24 hours’ notice) £50–£60 (2/3 courses), tasting menu £85.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Old Downton Lodge
- Country Life: 10 award-winning hotels to visit in 2020
- The Lady: Award winning hotels to visit in 2020
- Cosmopolitan: The 10 best hotels in the UK have been named, perfect for your next staycation
- express.co.uk: UK’s 10 best hotels revealed
- Daily Mail: The very best of British
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 5 UK country barn venues with a difference
- Independent: The best British hotels to discover this year