Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Pheasants scatter as you edge your way down the lanes’ to Pippa and Willem Vlok’s restaurant-with-rooms, occupying medieval and Georgian farm buildings around a flower-filled courtyard. It is a ‘super-peaceful place, renovated and furnished to a high standard’, readers write. ‘The attention to detail is faultless.’ Bedrooms, two with oak four-poster, are a study in rustic chic. A ‘high-raftered’ stables room had ‘lighting so elaborately digitised, it took most of the evening to work out which switches to activate’. A log-burner warms a sitting room in an old milking barn, where local cheeses, including Remembered Hills (‘blue, of course’) went down well with a good bottle of wine. In the ‘pseudo-baronial’ dining room, chef Nick Bennett’s short market menu might bring a choice of venison, squash and chestnut, savoy; hake, saag aloo, lemongrass and fennel; duck, chicory and orange. Most nights there is also a tasting menu. Give them notice of any dietary needs. ‘We couldn’t get enough of the food,’ another reader writes. As for the service, ‘the entire team are the most genuine, lovely, kind people’. (LH and JF, and others)
Downton on the Rock
9. In buildings round courtyard.
all year, except Christmas, dinner nightly, lunch Thurs–Sun.
sitting room, dining room, ‘museum’ (function room), in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 1-acre courtyard, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
soft classical in sitting and dining rooms.
allowed in some bedrooms by prior arrangement (£15 per dog), not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £165. Market menu (2–3 courses) £40–£50, tasting menu (6 courses) Tues–Sat £65.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Old Downton Lodge
- Country Life: 10 award-winning hotels to visit in 2020
- The Lady: Award winning hotels to visit in 2020
- Cosmopolitan: The 10 best hotels in the UK have been named, perfect for your next staycation
- express.co.uk: UK’s 10 best hotels revealed
- Daily Mail: The very best of British
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: 5 UK country barn venues with a difference
- Independent: The best British hotels to discover this year