Good Hotel Guide Review
Overlooking the sea towards Mull, in a 'fabulous location near the harbour', this hotel on the Hebridean island of Iona has a deserved reputation for its warm welcome, fresh and creative food, and feel of restorative peace. Hands-on owners Wendy and Rob MacManaway and Dafydd and Katy Russon give a ‘friendly personal welcome’, reports a reader who returned for the ‘peace and serenity’ and ‘cosy intimacy’. Bedrooms, most on the small side, are simple, with pine or oak furniture, neutral colours and local artwork, all with garden, courtyard or sea views. There are no TVs, but guests can ‘step out of the door to the glorious garden view'. 'Delicious and elegant' meals, all made from scratch including the bread, use kitchen-garden produce, sustainably sourced seafood and meat from local crofters. Hand-dived Isle of Mull scallops and pan-fried fillet of cod with parsley mash were ‘truly gourmet’. There are good vegetarian choices and the presentation ‘with flowers and herbs was stunning’. There are walks from the doorstep, three cosy lounges, one with a fire, and binoculars in the conservatory for bird-spotting and wildlife-watching – you may see a dolphin or two. (Alison Forrester)
Argyll and Bute
17. 7 in linked extension, all but one en suite, some bath or shower only.
late Mar–late Oct.
3 lounges (1 with TV), conservatory, dining room, wedding facilities, seafront lawn, free parking nearby, lounges/dining room wheelchair accessible, toilet not adapted, step.
modern Scottish, ‘gentle’ jazz, country music in dining room.
all ages welcomed, under 4s free, extra bed £20-£40.
max. 2 allowed in bedrooms (£15 per stay, welcome pack on request) and in 2 lounges.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £135, singles from £95. À la carte £45. 1-night bookings often refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: 10 great value UK hotel breaks
- The i: 20 of the best UK autumn holidays under £150 per night
- The Independent : 10 of the best eco hotels in the UK
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- The Independent : 10 of the UK’s best eco-friendly hotels
- Sunday Post: 10 of Argyll and Bute’s best dog-friendly getaways
- Country Life: 7 of the best beach hotels in Britain
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland