Good Hotel Guide Review
You can take a cream tea on the grass in front of this homely hotel on a small, rugged island and spot dolphins in the Sound of Iona. Hands-on owners Wendy and Rob MacManaway and Dafydd and Katy Russon are ‘constantly present and available’, a reader writes. Within the 19th-century building, bedrooms range from singles to a luxury sea-view room with a wood-burner, armchairs, a bath and walk-in shower. Styling is contemporary with rustic touches. On cold days a fire burns in one of the lounges. ‘Soup lunches in the conservatory made a pleasant break to the day.’ Chef Tom Morley devises menus of produce from local crofts, sustainably landed fish and abundant fruit and vegetables from the organic garden behind the hotel, beside nunnery ruins. A typical dish: braised beef cheeks, blue cheese mash, garden kale pesto, greens. ‘The food was absolutely delicious. Vegetarian options were a visual delight (decorated for example with borage).’ St Columba sailed to Iona in 563 in a hide-covered wicker boat. Today’s traveller disembarks on foot from the ferry just a stroll from the hotel door. (Alison Forrester)
Isle of Iona
Argyll and Bute
17. 7 in linked extension.
late Mar–late Oct.
3 lounges, conservatory, dining room, patchy Wi-Fi in public areas, wedding facilities, seafront lawn, lounges/dining room wheelchair accessible, unadapted toilet, step.
modern Scottish, ‘gentle’ jazz, country music in dining room.
all ages welcomed, under-4s free, extra bed £20–£40.
max. 2 allowed in bedrooms (£15 per stay), not in dining room or 2 lounges.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £100, singles from £77. À la carte £35. 1-night bookings often refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Independent : 10 of the best eco hotels in the UK
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- The Independent : 10 of the UK’s best eco-friendly hotels
- Sunday Post: 10 of Argyll and Bute’s best dog-friendly getaways
- Country Life: 7 of the best beach hotels in Britain
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels in Argyll and Bute
- Sunday Post: Top 10 walking hotels in Scotland