Good Hotel Guide Review
A dream destination for golfing gourmets, Geoffrey and Katherine Smeddle’s restaurant-with-rooms offers Michelin-starred cooking just a 12-minute drive from St Andrews. Whitewash and window boxes at this former Georgian coaching inn seem to speak of a traditional pub, but the interior is smart and contemporary, with modern artwork that complements the decor. Geoffrey Smeddle brings classical training to his creative cooking of seasonal Scottish ingredients, and has had Michelin’s seal of approval every year since 2010. A typical dinner might include wild halibut, lime and seaweed butter, scallop mousse, Jersey Royals, asparagus and caviar butter sauce; from a tasting menu, hay-baked onion, braised shoulder of lamb, wild garlic, grain mustard, onion cream, shallot rings, spring truffle. In The Residence, all but one of the suites are split level, with views over the neat garden to fields, a walk-in or over-bath shower. They have a palette of taupe, turquoise and teal, a fridge and tea-/coffee-maker, and a mezzanine lounge in which to enjoy a terrific continental breakfast, delivered by the ‘lovely, friendly staff’.
8. All suites, on ground floor in annexe, 7 split-level, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 24–26 Dec and 1–6 Jan, restaurant closed Sun/Mon.
lounge in restaurant, in-room TV (terrestrial), ½-acre garden, EV charging, restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, extra bed for under-12s £65, no under-7s at dinner.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £275. À la carte £65/£75 (3/4 courses), tasting menu £95.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Peat Inn
- Daily Mail: The UK’s hotels and inns of the year
- The Scottish Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Huffington Post USA: Ten of the best UK gourmet hotels for foodies
- Huffington Post: Top 10 UK hotels for whisky lovers