Good Hotel Guide Review
A dream destination for golfing gourmets, Geoffrey and Katherine Smeddle’s restaurant-with-rooms offers Michelin-starred cooking just a 12-minute drive from St Andrews. Whitewash and window boxes at this former Georgian coaching inn seem to speak of a traditional pub, but the interior is smart and contemporary, with modern artwork that complements the decor. Geoffrey brings classical training to his creative cooking of seasonal Scottish ingredients, and has had Michelin’s seal of approval every year since 2010. Returning readers concur that the food continues to be 'excellent'. A typical dinner might include orzo risotto with crispy egg yolk, pancetta and black truffle, or roast loin with braised cheek of Black Isle pork, potato purée, red cabbage and spiced cognac jus. In The Residence, all but one of the suites are split level, with views over the neat garden to fields, have walk-in or over-bath showers, fridges, tea and coffee, and are decorated in taupe, turquoise and teal. 'Our room was lovely and very comfortable.' A mezzanine lounge offers a terrific continental breakfast, delivered by the ‘lovely, friendly staff’. (Andy and Sally Mehalko)
8. All suites, on ground floor in annexe, 7 split-level, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 24–26 Dec and 1–6 Jan, restaurant closed Sun/Mon.
lounge in restaurant (vegan/vegetarian menus available with advance notice), in-room TV (terrestrial), ½-acre garden, EV charging, restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, extra bed for under-12s £65, no under-7s at dinner.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £339. À la carte £80 (3 courses), 5-course tasting menu £85.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Peat Inn
- Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: 10 of the best hotels in the UK and Ireland with Michelin Star restaurants
- Golf Today: The Good Hotel Guide reveals its top 10 golf hotels
- Daily Mail: The UK’s hotels and inns of the year
- The Scottish Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Huffington Post USA: Ten of the best UK gourmet hotels for foodies