8. All suites, on ground floor in annexe, 7 split-level, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 1 week Christmas, 1 week Jan, open from 27 Dec for Hogmanay, restaurant closed Sun/Mon.
lounge (log fire) in restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (terrestrial), 1/2 -acre garden.
all ages welcomed.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B from £225, D,B&B from £280. Set dinner £55, a la carte £58.
Good Hotel Guide Review
An 18th-century former coaching inn, which gave its name to the village that evolved around it, is run today as a restaurant-with-rooms by chef/proprietor Geoffrey Smeddle and his wife, Katherine. The accommodation is in suites. One is on a single level; seven have steps down to bedroom and bathroom, and up to ‘a large lounge area with a settee, table, chairs… all in a nice modern setting with carefully chosen wallpaper’. Here, guests take ‘an undoubtedly good continental breakfast’. There is no breakfast room, no full Scottish – but, then, it’s not about breakfast. People come to experience Mr Smeddle’s modern take on classical cooking, to dine at a leisurely pace, on such dishes as tagine of wood pigeon, couscous, sweetheart cabbage, spiced dried fruits and almonds; seared stone bass, cauliflower cheese, poached lettuce, pink grapefruit and Champagne butter sauce. ‘The welcome is warm’, with sherry in the room on arrival. The garden is well tended. In the 1980s, under previous owners, the Peat Inn became the first restaurant in Scotland to gain Michelin stardom. It has gone from strength to strength: a gourmet base for visits to the Renaissance splendour of Falkland Palace. (AB, and others)
- The Scottish Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Top 10 Scottish hotels for whisky lovers
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Huffington Post USA: Ten of the best UK gourmet hotels for foodies
- Huffington Post: Top 10 UK hotels for whisky lovers
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.