Good Hotel Guide Review
Lang may the lums reek at this remote restaurant-with-rooms on the shores of Loch Dunvegan. After 34 years, Shirley and Eddie Spear have moved on, but all is well. The new owner is experienced hotelier Gordon Campbell Gray (see also The Pierhouse, Port Appin), and guests can still expect a welcome with tea and scones, ‘delicious food and wine’, ‘excellent service’. Scott Davies continues in the kitchen of the restaurant in a whitewashed stone crofter’s cottage, working with the best produce from ‘Skye, Land and Sea’, in such dishes as scorched langoustine tails, pickled beetroot, oyster mousse, puffed wild rice; wood-fired Skye red deer, salsify, faggot; with tasting menus for omnivores and vegetarians. In the adjacent House Over-By, suites have a sea view and direct garden access, a king-size bed, minibar, coffee machine, a double-ended bath and ‘beautiful, hot shower’. Five are split-level; one is suitable for a wheelchair-user or family (no charge for a child under eight, sharing). Extras include fresh fruit, milk, home-baked goodies, Temple Spa toiletries. In the morning you might spot porpoises as you breakfast on grilled kipper with seaweed butter, haggis or the full Scottish.
Isle of Skye
6. All on ground floor (5 split-level) in separate building, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 16 Dec–16 Jan.
lounge/breakfast room (House Over-By), restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, garden on loch, restaurant and lounge wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in lounge and restaurant, ‘for different moods and times of day’.
all ages welcomed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B double £360, triple £460. Dinner menu £69, tasting menu £98 (vegetarian £88), kitchen table dinner £110.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Three Chimneys and The House Over-By
- Sunday Post: Heartwarming hospitality in the beautiful hotels of the Isle of Skye
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Visit Scotland: Six innovative hotels in Scotland
- Huffington Post: Top Five Most Beautiful Hotels in Scotland
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View
- Huffington Post: Ten of the Best Scottish Hotels