Good Hotel Guide Review
In a scattered hamlet on the western shore of Loch Dunvegan, in the far north of Skye, a whitewashed stone crofter’s cottage is the setting for this fine-dining restaurant-with-rooms. In 2019 it was acquired from long-time owners Shirley and Eddie Spear, by Gordon Campbell Gray’s new Wee Hotel Company (see also The Pierhouse, Port Appin), whose motto is ‘Where small is beautiful’. There is nothing small about the views across the loch and over the Minch to the peaks of Harris and North Uist nor, it must be said, the prices, but, then, this is an internationally renowned destination. Chef Scott Davies is committed to the use of island produce from land, sea and Skye, and whatever possible is made in-house. In the dining room, with bare stone walls and jolly artwork, you can dine from a short menu of dishes such as Gigha halibut, wild mushroom, leek, potato terrine; Soay lamb with bramble sauce; red deer, faggot, black cabbage. New arrivals are greeted with tea and cakes and shown to a swish, sea-facing room in the House Over-By, with restful decor, garden access, a king-size bed and a new bathroom with walk-in rain shower.
Isle of Skye
6. All on ground floor (5 split-level) in separate building, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except mid-Dec–end Jan.
lounge/breakfast room, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, garden, EV charging, restaurant and lounge wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in lounge and restaurant.
all ages welcomed, extra bed free for under-8s.
allowed in 1 bedroom (max. 1 dog, no charge unless for damage or extra cleaning), not in public spaces.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £365, triple £465. À la carte £65.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Three Chimneys and The House Over-By
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- Sunday Post: Heartwarming hospitality in the beautiful hotels of the Isle of Skye
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Huffington Post: Top Five Most Beautiful Hotels in Scotland
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View