Good Hotel Guide Review
In the remote north of Skye, a whitewashed stone crofter’s cottage overlooking Loch Dunvegan, with views to the peaks of Harris and North Uist, is home to an ambitious restaurant-with-rooms. Smart, contemporary, ground-floor suites in the next-door House Over-By have a sea view and direct garden access, a king-size bed, and extras including fresh milk and home-baked treats to go with the espresso machine, as well as Temple Spa products. Five rooms have steps to a seating area; one, with a wet room, is suitable for a wheelchair-user and/or a family. Since taking the helm, Gordon Campbell Gray (see also The Pierhouse, Port Appin) has replaced the bathrooms, which now have a walk-in rain shower. There is a lounge with a modern log-burner, where guests can enjoy a malt whisky or cocktail. Chef Scott Davies still showcases the finest ingredients, locally grown, raised, shot, fished or foraged. A new menu allows diners to pick and mix such dishes as roasted Sconser scallop, fermented fennel and squid ink dashi; Skye red deer or Isle of Lewis woodcock; apple, miso, doughnut and cider crème. At breakfast, everything possible is home made.
Isle of Skye
6. All on ground floor (5 split-level) in separate building, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 20 Dec–late Jan.
lounge/breakfast room (House Over-By), restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, garden on loch, restaurant and lounge wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in lounge and restaurant, ‘for different moods and times of day’.
all ages welcomed.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B double £365, triple £465 (no charge for child under 8, sharing). Dishes £6–£45, kitchen table tasting dinner £110.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Three Chimneys and The House Over-By
- Sunday Post: Heartwarming hospitality in the beautiful hotels of the Isle of Skye
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- Huffington Post: Top Five Most Beautiful Hotels in Scotland
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View
- Huffington Post: Ten of the Best Scottish Hotels