23 Mar–4 Nov.
drawing room, bar/lounge, playroom, restaurant, wedding facilities, free Wi-Fi, 1-acre grounds (play area), unsuitable for disabled.
Scottish in bar and restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed, not in restaurant or drawing room.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B £120–£240. À la carte £30.
Good Hotel Guide Review
A Victorian remodelling of an 18th-century inn, this stone mansion stands tall in a ‘beautiful situation’, with views of Ben Nevis and lawns stretching to the shore of Loch Shiel. It is owned by Jane MacFarlane; Manja and Duncan Gibson have been resident managers for the better part of two decades. Come in to Jacobite-themed paintings on pine-panelled walls; ‘in all the public rooms, roaring log fires, even at the end of May, add to the warmth and comfort of the place’. ‘Comfortably furnished’ loch- or garden-view bedrooms are made welcoming with fresh flowers and a fruit bowl. No room key is offered (‘though there was no hesitation providing one when we asked for it’) – imagine you’re staying with friends. ‘Our Jacobean Suite had a high four-poster bed; in the bathroom, a separate shower and bath, all nicely finished.’ In the restaurant, Duncan Gibson cooks ‘superb’ Scottish recipes with French flair – perhaps roast Lochaber lamb, potato gratin, young leeks. Another day, pull up at the bar, where the menu has ‘good choices – some plain, some fancy, all excellent’. A fine base for the western Highlands; spot golden eagles and red deer from a cruise on the loch. (LW, A and EW)
- Scottish Field: 10 country house hotels and castles in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- Visit Britain: Nine gorgeous hotels for autumn walks
- Visit Britain: Seven hotels to make you go wow
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking
Three nights for Two Special Offer
3 nights for the price of 2 on B&B rates for stays from 01 October to 31 October 2018. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.