23 Mar–31 Oct.
drawing room, bar/lounge, playroom, restaurant, wedding facilities, free Wi-Fi, 1-acre grounds (play area), unsuitable for disabled.
Scottish in bar and restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms and some public rooms, not in restaurant or drawing room.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B single £105–£225, double £125–£245. A la carte £25–£35.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Built for a veteran of Culloden and remodelled in Victorian times, Jane MacFarlane’s stone mansion stands in a breathtaking situation on the shores of Loch Shiel, with views of Ben Nevis and the Glenfinnan Monument. Team Gibson – Manja and Duncan – are long-standing manager and chef. On chilly days, log fires blaze in rooms hung with paintings on a Jacobite theme. Bedrooms have no TV, and no key unless requested, which ‘might not suit everyone’, but adds to the house-party ambience. All rooms are supplied with cut flowers and a fruit bowl. Many have views of the loch and of the 1814 Glenfinnan Monument, perhaps a four-poster bed, a whirlpool bath. There are reduced rates for children, who will thrill to visit the Glenfinnan Viaduct of Harry Potter fame, while the hotel’s classically trained wizard works his magic with Inverawe smoked salmon, Glenfinnan Estate venison, Lochaber lamb, 28-day-aged, chargrilled steaks. You can eat in the restaurant or the bar, where residents rub shoulders with locals, perhaps ‘fresh, thick and flaky’ fish and chips; vegetarian haggis, turnip and potato clapshot. A great place, at once ‘down to earth’ and ‘very special’.
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- Scottish Field: 10 country house hotels and castles in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
Three nights for Two Special Offer
3 nights for the price of 2 on B&B rates for stays during October (Friday, Saturday nights excluded). To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.