Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Scottish country house living on a grand scale.’ Near the mainland’s northern tip, this Georgian mansion is surrounded by woodland and waterfall on the Forss river, a fishing hot spot. Guests also come for the shooting, deer stalking and single malts. Warm hospitality and angling anecdotes are provided by ‘delightful’ manager Anne Mackenzie. The main house’s bedrooms have a high ceiling, comfortable seating, generous en suite bathroom, river views; patio doors in annexe rooms open on to woodland. Neighbouring estates and local waters supply the ingredients for head chef Andrew Smith’s seasonal menus: Caithness lamb rump and slow-cooked leg with fondant potatoes, Madeira sauce; whole poached Scrabster lobster, golden potatoes, lobster jus.
14. 3 in main house on ground floor, 6 in 2 neighbouring annexes, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except 23 Dec–4 Jan.
bar, dining room, breakfast room, lounge, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), meeting room, wedding facilities, 19-acre grounds with river and waterfall.
in public areas breakfast and evening.
all ages welcomed (under-5s free).
allowed in Sportsmen’s Lodges.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £99–£135, double £135–£185, D,B&B single £137–£170, double £205–£260. À la carte £35.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: The top places to stay for fishing in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s pick of the ten best luxury boutique hotels in Scotland
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Nine hotels in Scotland for country pursuits
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Quintessentially Scottish Hotels
Luxury 'Petaway' Special Offer
Luxury ‘Petaway’ Special Offer includes: Overnight stay in a Master Bedroom (multiple nights can be booked). A hearty Scottish breakfast for 2 humans, plus a breakfast sausage for your dog. From 180.00 per night. Terms & Conditions: Available for stays from 6th January 31st March and 1st November – 23rd December 2020. Booking is essential. An extra pup can be added for £15 per night. Multiple nights can be booked. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide