Good Hotel Guide Review
Under the big skies of Caithness, wrapped in woodland and a curve of the River Forss, this Georgian mansion offers the grandeur of Scottish country house living but with modern-day warmth and comforts. The results are ‘excellent’ and ‘wonderful’, say guests who particularly enjoyed the local walking – ‘right down to the sea’ – and the ‘vast bath’ perfect for ‘a wallow’. Bedrooms are contemporary with traditional touches: soft hues, large headboards, the occasional antique. Those in the main house have big windows overlooking the gardens, those in the lodges are more secluded, some close to the river (with excellent salmon fishing). All have modern bathrooms, the largest with freestanding baths. Relax in the clubby lounge with its panelled walls, chesterfields and tweedy armchairs before the highlight of an ‘absolutely superb’ dinner served either in the richly decorated main room or light-filled conservatory. Perhaps kick off with Scrabster scallops followed by Scottish beef fillet with ox cheek. Breakfast is thoroughly Scottish and filling, and includes porridge, grilled kippers, and scrambled eggs with double cream.
14. 3 on ground floor, 6 in neighbouring annexes, 1 suitable for disabled.
bar, dining room, breakfast room, lounge, in-room TV (Freeview), meeting room, wedding facilities, 19-acre grounds with river and waterfall.
in public areas breakfast and evening.
all ages welcomed, no charge for under-5s, extra bed £20.
allowed in sportsmen’s lodge bedrooms (£15 a night, welcome pack) and all areas except dining room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £142. Fixed-price 3-course dinner £58, 6-course tasting menu £86.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Weddings and Honeymoons Magazine: Top 10 hotel wedding venues for 2023
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland 2021
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: The top places to stay for fishing in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s pick of the ten best luxury boutique hotels in Scotland
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Nine hotels in Scotland for country pursuits
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
Three Nights for the Price of Two Special Offer
Spending time at Forss is all about over-indulging, treating yourself to the finer things and enjoying some well-deserved R&R. That’s why this winter when you book a three night stay between 1st October 2022 and 30th April 2023, you’ll receive your third night completely FREE…and to ensure your winter warmer stay is extra special, the hotel will prepare a hearty Scottish breakfast each morning. This is the secret to a truly wonderful hidden Highland experience. Offer includes: Three nights in any room type. A hearty Scottish breakfast each morning of your stay. Stay from £170.00. Offer terms & conditions: Price based on 2 people sharing any room type with breakfast included. A 2-night minimum stay applies. Book two nights and recieve the third night complimentary. Saving is on your B&B room tariff only. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other special offers. New bookings only. Stay must be redeemed between 1/10/22 and 30/04/23. To redeem this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.