Good Hotel Guide Review
The River Forss loops around this late Georgian Highland retreat in wooded grounds, today a dog-friendly hotel that is ideal for anglers, with shooting, stalking and hiking also on offer. You enter through a castellated extension built in 1930 by one Major Radclyffe, hunter and falconer, to house his trophies. The warmth that lies within owes much to Anne Mackenzie, the ‘charming, diminutive lady of the house’, and life and soul since 1989. She is still here to advise why you must have a ‘teardrop’ of water with your whisky, but Nicholas Gorton is the manager. Main house bedrooms range from cosy to colossal. There are others in the River House and Fishing Lodge annexes. A reader was shown to a ‘huge bedroom overlooking the slightly wild gardens’, with ‘red and green floral decor’ and ‘very comfortable red sofa’. The bathroom had ‘a vast bath, more like a swimming pool, with a shower over’. At dinner, a short menu includes such dishes as Caithness beef fillet and ox cheek, Scrabster cod with smoked mussels, and a vegan option. ‘The food was superb,’ other readers pronounce. (Chris Elliott, and others)
14. 3 on ground floor, 6 in neighbouring annexes, 1 suitable for disabled.
bar, dining room, breakfast room, lounge, in-room TV (Freeview), meeting room, wedding facilities, 19-acre grounds with river and waterfall.
in public areas breakfast and evening.
all ages welcomed (under-5s free).
allowed in Sportsmen’s Lodges and bar.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £165–£215. Fixed-price 3-course dinner £47.50, 6-course tasting menu £65.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: The top places to stay for fishing in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s pick of the ten best luxury boutique hotels in Scotland
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Nine hotels in Scotland for country pursuits
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in the Scottish Highlands
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits