Good Hotel Guide Review
Sadly, Killiecrankie is closing at the end of October following the death of its inspirational owner, Henrietta Fergusson. She was much loved by the Guide and its readers. The whitewashed former dower house overlooks the stunning, wooded Pass of Killiecrankie carved out by the River Garry. ‘It is personally run by Henrietta Fergusson, ably supported by her excellent team, with truly fine food and wine.’ A sense of ‘Scottish heritage’ runs through everything, from the tartans in a ‘splendidly decorated dining room’ and the plaid-clad waiting staff, to a whisky menu (including a very local, smoky Blair Athol). ‘It is a joy to watch the great variety of birds on the numerous feeders which can be seen from the bar and breakfast room.’ Traditionally styled, ‘good and comfortable’ bedrooms have shortbread, and cut flowers from brimming herbaceous borders, which are ‘a delight in summer’. Mark Easton’s modern cooking features such ingredients as Perthshire lamb and Aberdeen Angus beef. The ‘mind-boggling wine list’ is supervised by an ‘expert sommelier’. Also appreciated: the ‘blessed absence of background music’. (Stephen and Pauline Glover, KF)
Perth and Kinross
10. 2 on ground floor.
19 Mar–3 Jan.
sitting room, bar with conservatory, dining room, breakfast conservatory, in-room TV (Freeview), 4½-acre grounds (gardens, woodland), public areas wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bar and some bedrooms (not unattended), not in sitting or dining rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person B&B from £135, subject to availability, per room D,B&B single £170–£180, double £290–£350 (deduct £65 for single occupancy of a double room). Set dinner £45. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best hotels for Autumn breaks
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for New Year in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in Perth and Kinross
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top hotels near the Highland Games
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top 10 walking hotels in Scotland