Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Strongly endorsed’ by trusted readers on a return visit, this ‘wonderful’ whitewashed 1840s dower house at the end of a tree-lined drive displays ‘impressive, unchanging excellence’. Guests relax at the hands of an ‘attentive team of tartan-clad staff’, under the ‘personal, hands-on’ host Henrietta Fergusson. ‘It’s always a joy,’ say guests this year, ‘to watch the great variety of birds which can be seen from windows of the breakfast room and bar.’ In winter, such cosy scenes are enhanced in the lounge by a blazing fire and an expansive whisky menu. Bedrooms are ‘well-furnished’ retreats, handsomely decorated with antique pieces, thick woollen blankets, fresh flowers, and supplied with ‘proper wooden’ coat-hangers. ‘The recently refurbished bathroom takes the bedroom into “wow factor” territory.’ In the dining room with its ‘rich tasteful colours and sumptuous curtains’, Mark Easton’s daily-changing menu teems with Rannoch-smoked venison, Perthshire lamb, locally cured gravadlax and crayfish, so benefiting from Killiecrankie’s situation at the gateway to the Highlands. The ‘nicely tended’ garden awaits for a preprandial stroll. (Pauline and Stephen Glover, MK Webster)
Perth and Kinross
10. 2 on ground floor.
23 Mar–3 Jan.
sitting room, bar with conservatory, dining room, breakfast conservatory, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), 4½-acre grounds (gardens, woodland), public areas wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bar and some bedrooms (not unattended), not in sitting or dining rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £135–£250, D,B&B £170–£350. Set dinner £45. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for New Year in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 top hotels in Perth and Kinross
- 101 Holidays: 10 of the best country house hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top hotels near the Highland Games
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top 10 walking hotels in Scotland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Quintessentially Scottish Hotels
- Huffington Post: Ten of the Best Scottish Hotels