Good Hotel Guide Review
Pigs have foraged in the New Forest since the Norman Conquest, but a different breed arrived in 2011, when Robin Hutson took on a Georgian hunting lodge and reinvented the English country house hotel. The ethos at all the Pigs (see index) is hip but not hooray. Judy Hutson set the shabby-chic style, mixing old and new, rich fabrics and boot-sale finds. Even snug rooms come with designer wallpaper, a large monsoon shower, while comfy-luxe rooms have a shower and freestanding bath. There are hideaway suites in the stable yard, lodges, a forest hut clad in reclaimed timber at the bottom of the garden. Readers tried a wide range of dishes from the seasonal menus, with produce from the kitchen garden or grown and reared close to home, and proclaimed them all ‘absolutely delicious’. The menu might include wild garlic tagliatelle, goat’s cheese and walnuts, or venison loin with artichokes and smoked yogurt. ‘There’s so much about the place that we absolutely love,’ said our reviewers. ‘Every person we dealt with was exceptionally friendly and professional.’ There is one rub: the Pigs aren’t for pups, who will have to stay at home. (Anna Brewer)
32. 10 in stable block (100 yds), some on ground floor, 2 lodges and a cabin in the garden, 1 courtyard room suitable for disabled.
lounge, library, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, treatment rooms, kitchen garden, 6-acre grounds, EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in public areas.
all ages welcomed, no charge for extra beds.
guide dogs only.
Amex, MC, Visa.
room-only doubles from £195. Breakfast £13.50–£18.50, à la carte £42. 1-night bookings refused at weekends, Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Pig in the Forest
- Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: 10 of the top UK hotels for a luxury Christmas in 2022
- Daily Mail: The best British B&Bs and hotels in 2022
- The Express: Six great hotels in our beautiful national parks
- medium.com: Beautiful hotels in the New Forest
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford