32. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (16-metre swimming pool), 14-acre gardens (outdoor hot pool), cookery school.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in outside bedrooms, not in main house.
 room from £330. Breakfast £16.50–£25, à la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Think of anything you might want from a luxury hotel – ‘friendly, professional staff’, ‘well-appointed bedrooms’, ‘delightful’ public spaces, a ‘memorable’ breakfast with peerless granola. Chances are, at this family-friendly country house hotel, it’s already been thought of. There’s the house: Regency, with a collection of lodges and cottages in extensive grounds. The situation: the peaceful heart of the New Forest. The style: ‘stunning’. No wonder it’s a favoured celebrity retreat, liked for its ‘lack of airs and graces’. Bedrooms of every size have restful decor, fluffy bathrobes, a pantry of goodies and views into greenery; even the smallest room is well conceived, with a ‘lovely’ bathroom. In the restaurant, chefs Angela Hartnett and Luke Holder cook dishes with an Italian accent and bravura – perhaps hare lasagne; hake, Salcombe crab, sweet onion. (A grazing menu of good-for-you foods is available in the glass-encased Herb House Spa.) Loaf if you must, but there’s plenty to do: forest foraging, yoga in the rooftop herb garden, a crash course in crustacea at the cookery school, bicycle rides down wooded paths. (JW)
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
- The Independent: Britain’s best spa hotels
- Independent.co.uk: 10 Best British Country House Hotels
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner