Good Hotel Guide Review
At the end of a long drive past rustic cabins, a helipad and a forest-fringed meadow, this 21st-century rebuild of a Georgian lodge is a ‘highly professional, near faultless’ modern country house hotel. ‘We were greeted warmly as we climbed out of our car at the entrance,’ reports a Guide insider, before being shown around, with bags taken to the room. A range of ‘light, tastefully neutral’ or earth-toned accommodation includes cosy rooms, overlooking garden and forest with a king-size bed, robes, minibar and Bamford toiletries. Two-storey lodges include one with a four-poster, open fire and stand-alone bath in a bay window surrounded by trees; wooden cottages with kitchenette suit a family. Public rooms, including a marble-topped bar lined with leather chairs, have a bright, uplifting mood, eclectic artwork and ‘many quiet spots for afternoon tea’. The spa is ‘slick and beautiful’. In the ‘elegant, relaxed, slightly dimly it’ restaurant, Luke Holder and Angela Hartnett’s seasonal Italian fare includes Parmesan gnocchi, morels, wild garlic; lamb chops, garlic, sweetbread Bolognese. ‘Perhaps wait until you have eaten to study the dining room’s Tracey Emin nudes.’
32. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (indoor pool), 14-acre gardens, cookery school, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in outside bedrooms, not in main house.
room £345–£1,250. Breakfast £22, à la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- medium.com: Beautiful hotels in the New Forest
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Ideal Home: UK hotels with the most inspiring interiors
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons