Good Hotel Guide Review
There’s plenty of laid-back glamour at this Georgian lodge in the heart of the New Forest, with a relaxed, family-friendly vibe and well-regarded spa. ‘Everything is just so without being strained,’ says a Guide insider. Romantic, neutral-tone rooms have a shabby-chic feel that is ‘way more chic than shabby’. They range from ‘cosy’ main-house rooms with a bath by the window and a walk-in shower, to hideaway suites, lodges and cabins with open fires, and new-look pavilions. Best of the public rooms is the glass-ceilinged Courtyard bar, ‘a hugely appealing place to sip a drink’. In Hartnett and Holder restaurant, Angela Hartnett and Luke Holder serve ‘the best of Italian and British food’. Short menus might include Woolley Park guineafowl, confit leg and nduja braised beans, and ‘if you like truffle, you’re in for a treat’. Or go for alfresco grazing from Raw & Cured, maybe Isle of Wight tomato or spiced chickpea salad, butterbean hummus, charcuterie from the smokehouse, local cheeses. ‘The grounds are perfect for a wander’ with forest trails from the door. ‘We took bikes and rode to the Pig for lunch’ (see The Pig in the Forest, Brockenhurst).
33. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (indoor pool), 14-acre gardens, cookery school, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, no charge for extra bed.
allowed in outside bedrooms (£30 per stay), not main house.
doubles from £395. Breakfast from £18.50, à la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- medium.com: Beautiful hotels in the New Forest
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Ideal Home: UK hotels with the most inspiring interiors
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox