Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Laid-back luxury at its very best’, this New Forest bolt-hole has an easy glamour, romantic and family-friendly rooms, heartwarming Italian food and a top-notch spa. Public rooms in the Georgian main house mix panelled walls and checkerboard-tiled floors with leather chairs and modern art. The glass-ceilinged courtyard bar is particularly impressive. Bedrooms in a chic country-house style radiate comfort, and range from main-house rooms with woodland views and a bath by the window to rustic cottages and cabins in the grounds, perhaps with an open fire. The Lake Cabin is the ultimate in privacy with a wraparound balcony over the water. After a walk in the New Forest (there are trails from the door), head to the forest-inspired Herb House Spa with its choice of pools, wooded views from the sauna, and yoga on the roof. The Raw & Cured café here offers nutritious dishes such as home-cured salmon, and borlotti bean salad, but save room for the main foodie event at Hartnett Holder & Co. Here, Angela Hartnett and Luke Holder serve tasty dishes that might include prawn risotto and butter-roasted monkfish with Ligurian fish stew.
33. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions, cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, spa (indoor pool), 14-acre gardens, cookery school, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet, EV charging.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, no charge for extra bed.
allowed in outside bedrooms (£30 per stay), grounds, not main house.
Room-only doubles from £495, breakfast £21, à la carte £75. 1-night bookings refused most weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- My Weekly: Best Foodie Hotels For A Gourmet Getaway
- 101 Honeymoons: Best UK hotels for a honeymoon in 2023
- Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: 10 of the top romantic hotels to visit in the UK in 2023
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- medium.com: Beautiful hotels in the New Forest
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Ideal Home: UK hotels with the most inspiring interiors
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018