32. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (16-metre swimming pool), 14-acre gardens (outdoor hot pool), cookery school, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in outside bedrooms, not in main house.
room from £385. Breakfast £16.50-£25, a la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘At night, surrounded by floodlit cedars and oaks, it felt like a movie set,’ writes one reader this year, after visiting the luxury New Forest retreat. Almost correct. The mellow-stone mansion, apart from a tiny original section, is a 21st-century recreation of a Georgian property. So theatrics, but no drama, just ‘friendly, professional’ staff and a ‘gloriously relaxed’ atmosphere in the ‘delightful’ public spaces sprinkled liberally with artwork. The main house’s ‘tasteful’ rooms have coolly casual categories: eaves, cosy, spacious. Around the grounds, a thread of rustic family cottages, and two-storey suites and lodges with fireplace, dining area and forest or estate views. New this year, a linear timber-clad hideaway, cantilevered over the small lake, as if Frank Lloyd Wright had designed a log cabin. Wellies, waterproofs and bikes are provided, but may well be ignored for the acclaimed spa’s soft grey robes. In the ‘elegant, softly lit’ restaurant, Luke Holder and Angela Hartnett’s seasonal, locally sourced Italian fare includes such dishes as velvet crab, blood orange, fennel and basil risotto. Breakfast brings a ‘terrific’ buffet, or cooked options: smoked haddock, steak and eggs. (IB, and others)
- Ideal Home: UK hotels with the most inspiring interiors
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
- The Independent: Britain’s best spa hotels
- Independent.co.uk: 10 Best British Country House Hotels
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner