Good Hotel Guide Review
Designed for pure leisure and pleasure, this Georgian New Forest lodge is run as a glamorous yet relaxed country house hotel for today’s savvy guest. ‘It really does encapsulate laid-back luxury at its best,’ says a Guide insider. Neutral-tone rooms are ‘romantic, some tucked away up towers, with open fire and wood floor’. The simplest, under the eaves, have garden and forest views. There are two-storey suites, pavilions with a lounge and private terrace, and a cabin by the lake with outdoor bath. Public rooms are beautiful, but ‘none as enticing as the light-filled Courtyard bar, with glass-ceiling’, marble bar and leather chairs. Sunbathe on the herb-planted roof of the spa, order small plates from an all-day menu, or dine on modern Italian fare from Luke Holder and Angela Hartnett (maybe ‘particularly good truffle ravioli’, or crab risotto with orange and fennel). ‘Staff are so well trained that when a spider crawled on me in the restaurant, the waiter leant over and calmly palmed it, then stood and chatted to me with it in his hand.’ You can borrow boots to head into the forest, with trails from the door. (JK)
33. 5 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled, 16 in pavilions and cottages in the grounds.
lifts, 2 bars, 3 lounges, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (indoor pool), 14-acre gardens, cookery school, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, children's menus and swimming times.
allowed in outside bedrooms (£30 charge), not in main house.
per room £395–£2,500. Breakfast £22, à la carte £65. 1-night bookings refused most weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- medium.com: Beautiful hotels in the New Forest
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Ideal Home: UK hotels with the most inspiring interiors
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England