Good Hotel Guide Review
This quintessential English country house with spa, pools, kids’ club, elegant bedrooms and fun treehouses hits all the right luxurious notes for a romantic or family stay. ‘I have been to Chewton Glen many times and it never disappoints,’ confirms a regular. Tennis, golf, croquet, gardens and woodland – plus a path to the beach – mean that there’s no need to leave this five-star cocoon. Relax in one of the lounges with their old-school elegance or around the pool in the light-flooded spa or refresh in the outdoor pool. Main house bedrooms are lightly traditional – soft colours, marble bathrooms – with parkland views, many with balcony or terrace. Suites are more contemporary while the treehouses are sharply modern, with hot tubs and log-burners: ‘out of this world, with every possible detail considered to make it as comfortable and luxurious as possible’. ‘Wonderful food’ is served in the glass-roofed Dining Room for traditional fine dining such as Dover sole and venison (vegetarian, too), and the breezier Kitchen for gourmet burgers and pizzas. ‘Very attentive’ staff were ‘helpful throughout our stay’. (Victoria Sterman, and others)
72. 14 on ground floor, 14 treehouse suites in grounds, 1 suitable for disabled.
lounges, bar, 2 restaurants, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, cookery school, spa, indoor pool, 130-acre grounds (heated pool, tennis, golf), EV charging, public rooms (not spa) wheelchair accessible.
‘subtle’ in public areas.
all ages welcomed, no charge for extra bed.
allowed in treehouse suites (£35 per night, welcome pack), on Kitchen terrace.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £435. À la carte £70 (Dining Room), £48 (Kitchen). 1-night stays sometimes refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain magazine: The 10 best British country house hotels
- Best Ever Christmas: 10 wonderful Christmas hotel getaways
- The i: 12 hotels with outdoor pools
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- My Weekly: Amazing UK staycation hotels
- Daily Express: Late summer retreats
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Family Traveller: Top 10 UK family hotels
Complimentary Breakfast for Two Special Offer
Complimentary continental and cooked breakfast in The Dining Room. Offer valid Sunday to Thursday and outside of bank or school holidays.