2 lounges, bar, restaurant, 2 private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 1,000-acre grounds (woodland, ornamental and kitchen gardens, meadow, orchard, lake, croquet lawn, glasshouses), only restaurant wheelchair accessible.
in bar in evening.
not under 7.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B £278–£850. Set dinner £35–£50, tasting menu £90, seasonal menu £75. 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘We have become addicted to this place,’ write trusted readers, following a return visit to this recently ‘spruced-up’ Elizabethan manor house (Relais & Châteaux). ‘The staff go to great lengths to make your stay memorable, the welcome is always warm, the service impeccable.’ From classic doubles to deluxe four-poster rooms, the accommodation is ‘superb’. ‘The style varies from traditional Tudor to smart, modern but equally cosy.’ A ‘generous hospitality tray’ includes a coffee-maker and ‘delicious home-made biscuits’. ‘Huge log fires’ burn in comfortable lounges, while in the ‘wonderfully airy’ new restaurant, with floor-to-ceiling glass walls that open on to a garden patio, is ‘absolutely spectacular, a tour de force’. It hosts Michelin-starred chef George Blogg’s ‘exquisite’ dishes, highlighting orchard, kitchen garden and local produce. ‘Our excellent carpaccio starter was followed by a delicious lobster done two ways.’ Breakfast is ‘a total joy’ with ‘perfectly cooked eggs’, pastries, ‘whatever you like’. The ‘breathtaking’ gardens were laid out by William Robinson, pioneer of the natural English style, over his 50-year tenure, from 1885. (Francine and Ian Walsh, Bill Bennett)
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Daily Mail: The best of British
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide