Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Whenever a special date crops up, we make a beeline for Gravetye and have never been disappointed.’ Guide stalwarts vouch for Jeremy and Elizabeth Hosking’s luxury country house hotel, an Elizabethan manor house (Relais & Châteaux), surrounded by woodland, with gardens laid out by William Robinson, exponent of the ‘wild’ garden style. Andrew Thomason is the consummate manager, his staff are ‘charm personified’. Bedrooms, some with a four-poster, some more contemporary, have many thoughtful touches – ‘home-made biscuits, bottled water, a jar of sweets, books, postcards, orchids, Noble Isle toiletries. . .’ Another trusted reader, who last year asked for kiwi fruit, this year found some ‘prepared and waiting in the fridge’. Downstairs, ‘a splendid log fire’ was burning in a panelled lounge. A new, glass-walled dining room brings the gardens inside. ‘Magician’ George Blogg holds a Michelin star for such creative offerings as ‘out-of-this-world mini-beetroot meringues, partridge several ways, perfectly cooked veal sweetbreads, strawberry and beetroot soufflé with liquorice ice cream’. Breakfast is ‘everything it should be’. (Francine and Ian Walsh, Bill Bennett)
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, 2 private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 1,000-acre grounds (woodland, ornamental and kitchen gardens, meadow, orchard, lake, croquet lawn, glasshouses), restaurant wheelchair accessible.
not under 7.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £278–£850. Set dinner £35–£50, tasting menu £95, seasonal menu £80. 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Daily Mail: The best of British
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide