Deep in the Sussex countryside, a romantic Elizabethan manor house, built by an ironmaster for his bride, stands amid 1,000 acres of historically important gardens, pleasure grounds and woodland. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
Deep in the Sussex countryside, a romantic Elizabethan manor house, built by an ironmaster for his bride, stands amid 1,000 acres of historically important gardens, pleasure grounds and woodland. Oak-panelled public rooms are filled with antiques. In the dining room, George Blogg’s elegant Michelin-starred menus feature produce from orchard and kitchen garden, with foraged ingredients, in dishes such as roe venison, beetroot and red chicory; spring greens, hen of the woods, cèpe and wild garlic; crab apple, caramelised white chocolate and thyme. Beyond glass walls, flowers overspill borders laid out by William Robinson, pioneer of wild and natural gardening, who lived here until his death in 1935. Bedrooms are traditionally furnished, with signature floral fabrics, perhaps dual-aspect windows, a four-poster bed. Praise from readers is unstinted. ‘From arrival to departure our stay was magical. Such naturally friendly staff, with such a fantastic kitchen – every meal was perfection.’ ‘Best hotel we have stayed at in Britain so far.’ It is a Relais & Châteaux hotel. (Ralph Wilson, Mrs E Gould)
2 lounges, bar, restaurant (vegan/vegetarian menus), 2 private dining rooms, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 1,000-acre grounds (woodland, ornamental and kitchen gardens, meadow, orchard, lake, croquet lawn, glasshouses), EV charging, restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
not under 8, extra bed £40.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £360, single from £193. Fixed-price dinner £105. 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: 10 of the best hotels in the UK and Ireland with Michelin Star restaurants
- Britain magazine: The 10 best British country house hotels
- Lifestyle Luxury Magazine: 10 of the top hotels in the UK with Michelin stars
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British hotels with beautiful gardens
- Country Life: 10 of the finest country houses in Britain to book for a staycation
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
Comments about Gravetye Manor