Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Whenever a special date crops up, we make a beeline for Gravetye and have never been disappointed.’ Guide stalwarts vouch for Jeremy and Elizabeth Hosking’s luxury country house hotel, an Elizabethan manor house (Relais & Châteaux), surrounded by woodland, with gardens laid out by William Robinson, exponent of the ‘wild’ garden style. Andrew Thomason is the consummate manager, his staff are ‘charm personified’. Bedrooms, some with a four-poster, some more contemporary, have many thoughtful touches – ‘home-made biscuits, bottled water, a jar of sweets, books, postcards, orchids, Noble Isle toiletries. . .’ Another trusted reader, who last year asked for kiwi fruit, this year found some ‘prepared and waiting in the fridge’. Downstairs, ‘a splendid log fire’ was burning in a panelled lounge. A new, glass-walled dining room brings the gardens inside. ‘Magician’ George Blogg holds a Michelin star for such creative offerings as ‘out-of-this-world mini-beetroot meringues, partridge several ways, perfectly cooked veal sweetbreads, strawberry and beetroot soufflé with liquorice ice cream’. Breakfast is ‘everything it should be’. (Francine and Ian Walsh, Bill Bennett). This hotel is also a member of Pride of Britain.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, 2 private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 1,000-acre grounds (woodland, ornamental and kitchen gardens, meadow, orchard, lake, croquet lawn, glasshouses), restaurant wheelchair accessible.
not under 7.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £278–£850. Set dinner £35–£50, tasting menu £95, seasonal menu £80. 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Daily Mail: The best of British
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide