Good Hotel Guide Review
Jeremy and Elizabeth Hosking’s beloved and beautiful Elizabethan manor house stands in glorious gardens, amid 1,000 acres of woodland. ‘It is absolutely exceptional,’ runs a typical report of this Relais & Châteaux country house hotel. ‘The professionalism of the staff, the high quality of the rooms, the extraordinary garden, the paintings and the delicious dinner.’ Bedrooms have fine antiques, original features and views of those gardens, created by former resident William Robinson, which are Gravetye’s great glory. Public rooms have blazing log fires, oak-panelled walls, portraits and fresh flowers. A smart-casual dress code in the glass-walled dining room reflects the hotel’s relaxed, spoiling ethos. Michelin-starred chef George Blogg uses produce from the kitchen gardens and orchard in such dishes as tasting of Creedy Carver duck with young parsnip, honey and Gravetye lavender. ‘The passion fruit soufflé was to die for,’ writes one reader, and the service continues to win high praise. ‘Gravetye is certainly expensive but it appears to have a very satisfied clientele.’ (Bill Bennett, Jonathan Rose, F and IW, and others). Gravetye Manor is a member of Pride of Britain hotels.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, 2 private dining rooms, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 1,000-acre grounds (woodland, ornamental and kitchen gardens, meadow, orchard, lake, croquet lawn, glasshouses), restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
not under 7 in dining room.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £295–£950. Set dinner £80, tasting menu £95 (plus discretionary service). 1-night bookings sometimes refused at weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Daily Mail: The best of British
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide