Good Hotel Guide Review
The superb setting of the Nye family’s hotel overlooking salt marshes to the sea and Scolt Head Island is matched by a ‘really good atmosphere’, say readers who go back year after year. 'It's hard to think of much that can be improved at this hotel,' write happy readers. Food is served outside from noon until night, allowing diners to fully appreciate the big-sky landscape and spectacular sunsets. You can eat sea-fresh shellfish cooked over coals and 'Norfolk tapas' in an open-sided marquee (ponchos provided), dine under a parasol in the courtyard garden, or by the fire in winter. In the glass-walled restaurant, with ‘excellent food and service’, the menu ranges from lobster and fish and chips to marsh-grazed sirloin steak. 'They offer two local white wines which were fantastic and the mussels are very local and delicious.' ‘Extremely comfortable’ bedrooms feature local artwork, a Norfolk seascape palette of green, blue, lavender and sand. The split-level ‘Room at the Top’ has a balcony and telescope to better appreciate the view. Spacious, dog-friendly garden rooms, built into the contours of the land under a sedum roof, have a private terrace. (DC, SP and others)
15. 8 on ground floor in annexe, 1 suitable for disabled.
open-plan bar, lounge areas, conservatory restaurant, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), ½-acre garden (terrace, covered sunken garden), in-room therapies, EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
‘subtle’ in restaurant.
all ages welcomed, cot £5, extra bed £35, children's menu, high chair.
allowed in garden rooms (£15 a night), public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £180, single occupancy discount available. À la carte £42. 1-night bookings subject to availability.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The White Horse
- Readers Digest: 10 best hotels for walking holidays in the UK
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- Good Pub Guide: 10 dog-friendly pubs with rooms
- The Good Pub Guide: Best gastro pubs with rooms in Norfolk
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Eastern Daily Press: 7 of the best dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking