Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A lovely hotel with efficient, friendly staff,’ declares a trusted Guide reader this year after a third visit to the Nye family’s inn, which gazes across tidal salt marshes to Scolt Head Island and the open sea. The contemporary en suite bedrooms nod to the surroundings with breezy tones of turquoise, green, lavender and sand. Eight rooms, each with a terrace, occupy a garden extension, blending into the landscape with grass and sedum roofs. ‘Our comfortable room, overlooking the marshes, was well appointed with a good bathroom and plenty of storage.’ Light sleepers might request a room away from the restaurant. In the bar and light-washed conservatory dining room with its al fresco deck, Fran Hartshorne’s locally sourced menus ‘are heavily accented towards fish’ but also serve Norfolk lamb, beef and vegetarian options including chargrilled leeks, gnocchi, goat’s curd, hazelnut dressing. ‘I had a memorable baked ray wing with grapes and almond – a dish I‘m determined to cook myself.’ The chef also offers a Norfolk twist on afternoon tea, and guests can pick up kippers or salmon from the smokehouse in the garden. ‘Breakfast was OK with good croissants. We will return’ (Peter Anderson)
15. 8 on ground floor in annexe, 1 suitable for disabled.
public bar, open-plan lounge areas, conservatory restaurant, dining room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), ½-acre garden (terrace, covered sunken garden), in-room therapies, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
‘subtle’ in restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in garden rooms (£10 per night), bar.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £120-£200, D,B&B (Sun-Thurs in low season only, except bank hols and school hols) £170-£250. À la carte £30.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The White Horse
- Good Pub Guide: 10 dog-friendly pubs with rooms
- The Good Pub Guide: Best gastro pubs with rooms in Norfolk
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Eastern Daily Press: 7 of the best dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Norfolk Magazine: 10 Dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- The Independent: Ten of the best hotels for golfers
Free Bottle of Wine Special Offer
Expect a warm welcome and the best panoramic views across a tidal marsh, book 2 nights B&B and get a welcome bottle of house wine in your room on arrival. Terms and conditions apply. Please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.