Good Hotel Guide Review
You can dine in the conservatory or alfresco at the Nye family’s hotel, and gaze across tidal salt marshes to the sea that supplied what is on your plate. The panoramic views, which take in Scolt Head Island, are even better appreciated now, after refurbishment of the conservatory, restaurant, dining area and bar, with the addition of larger paned windows. The bedrooms are also influenced by the landscape: all have a coastal palette of aquamarine, teal, lavender and sand, while eight garden rooms in an annexe have a sedum roof to blend into the surroundings. ‘Lovely rooms,’ writes a repeat visitor. ‘Nice hotel, brilliant location.’ Fran Hartshorne’s menus are naturally strong on fish and shellfish. Expect such dishes as Staithe Smokehouse haddock, pan-fried hake with mussels and curried chowder, wild mushroom risotto. Our reader sent back his skate, which he found over-seasoned, but says ‘food is generally very good’ and ‘they dealt with it well’. A breakfast of smoked salmon, kippers, roast ham, or a full English will set you up to walk the Norfolk Coast Path, which passes the foot of the garden. (Peter Anderson, and others)
15. 8 on ground floor in annexe, 1 suitable for disabled.
open-plan bar, lounge areas, conservatory restaurant, dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), ½-acre garden (terrace, covered sunken garden), in-room therapies, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
‘subtle’ in restaurant.
all ages welcomed, children's menu, high chair.
allowed in garden rooms (£10 per night), bar.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £120–£240. À la carte £33.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The White Horse
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- Good Pub Guide: 10 dog-friendly pubs with rooms
- The Good Pub Guide: Best gastro pubs with rooms in Norfolk
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Eastern Daily Press: 7 of the best dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Norfolk Magazine: 10 Dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
3rd Night Free Special Offer
Expect a warm welcome and the best panoramic views across a tidal marsh with a bit of Christmas sparkle, book 2 nights B&B and get 3rd night free. Terms and conditions apply. This offer is valid on stays until December 22, 2020. Please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.