37. 2 suitable for disabled.
all year except 2–31 Jan, house parties Christmas (4 days) and New Year (3 days).
lift, 2 lounges, bar, library, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (indoor swimming pool, outdoor swimming pool, seaweed baths, terrace, meadow garden, public areas wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all day in bar and restaurant.
allowed in selected bedrooms, some public areas.
per room B&B single £240–£410, double £260–£480. Set dinner £50. 1-night bookings refused Fri/Sat.
Good Hotel Guide Review
While families whoop it up at sister hotel Bedruthan (see previous entry), grown-ups enjoy the serenity at this adults-only hotel and spa. A reader was impressed on arrival by valet parking, ‘a comprehensive guided tour’, complimentary tea and coffee. He admired the design (‘modern, clean lines, interesting artwork and lighting are achievable anywhere; here it’s exciting’) and the eco-friendly credentials. ‘I could go on: the restaurant, the peace, the views… the charming young staff.’ Bedrooms, most with floor-to-ceiling windows, have a terrace, balcony or courtyard garden; all enjoy sea views. ‘Ours was very comfortable (wonderful mattress), bath in the bedroom (not sure about that) and power shower.’ At dinner, chef Mike Francis cooks imaginative dishes such as pan-roasted cod, crispy oyster, Jerusalem artichoke, cavolo nero, salsa verde. One reader raved, another found the restaurant low on choice and slow on speed. Others in 2018 agreed: ‘the cooking wasn’t up to the standard of the rest of the superb hotel; flavours were generally bland.’ Breakfast has more healthy than cooked options but if you want something special, ask. (Richard Barrett, ANR)
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit Britain: 8 modern hotels with bags of personality
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Britain’s best spa hotels