Good Hotel Guide Review
In an 18th-century manor house, this spa hotel and golf resort has been owned by the Barlow family since 1987. Guide readers praise the ‘attentive’ service and ‘magnificent’ facilities. ‘Tastefully furnished’ bedrooms have views over the grounds (‘I have never heard such loud, beautiful birdsong’). They are supplied with bathrobes and slippers, swimming towels, and Cornish biscuits and water. In the evening, menus ‘suit all tastes’ – a four-course dinner in the restaurant, or a less formal option taken in the conservatory, bar or lounge. Walk through the ‘pretty’ garden to reach the Helford river, where boat trips, paddle-boarding and kayak explorations offer adventure on the water. All on site: tennis, croquet, snooker and an ‘excellent’ swimming pool, sauna and outdoor hot tub.
49. Plus 4 self-catering, dog-friendly cottages, 1 suitable for disabled, and 3 holiday homes.
lift, 2 lounges, cocktail bar, conservatory, golf bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 65-acre grounds (golf, tennis, woodlands, private quay), spa, sauna, indoor swimming pool, outdoor hot tub, electric car charging points.
‘gentle’ live piano or guitar at dinner.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms, lobby, conservatory, terrace, not in other public rooms.
per person B&B £76–£188. Prix fixe dinner £30 (£49 for non-residents).
VisitEngland Four Star Country House Hotel
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Visit Cornwall: Eight hotels in Cornwall to visit this Spring
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- Visit Cornwall: The GHG shines a spotlight on Cornwall’s hotels
- National Golfer: The best hotels for golf in the UK and Ireland
- The Independent: Ten of the best hotels for golfers
- Huffington Post: Get on Course for an Ace Golfing Hotel Break