Good Hotel Guide Review
‘The views are glorious,’ writes a Guide regular, after a visit to Toby Ashworth’s hotel above Carne Beach. ‘Each night I fell asleep to the sound of waves.’ The widescreen panorama of Gerrans Bay is fully exploited by ‘beautifully maintained’ gardens with ‘many spaces to sit and gaze across to Nare Head, and a deliciously warm outdoor pool’. It’s a vista shared by many of the ‘spacious’ rooms with balcony or terrace. All are supplied with those country house essentials: armchairs, books, magazines, fresh blooms. Readers also praise the ‘super-soft’ towels, ‘good linen’, fresh milk at turn-down, overnight shoe cleaning. ‘It’s difficult to imagine being as comfortable away from home.’ Service is ‘faultless’. In the relaxed Quarterdeck, and the more formal silver-service restaurant, Brett Camborne-Paynter’s menus, with much seafood and daily lobsters, offer ‘fantastic quality and taste’. One guest enjoyed the dessert trolley in particular, and having ‘venison or bananas flambéed at your table’. There’s a top-notch afternoon tea, acclaimed artwork, an elegant motor launch, espionage games for younger guests, a spa for older ones. ‘I wish we could visit more often.’ (TS, and others). This hotel is also a member of Pride of Britain.
37. Some on ground floor, 1 in adjacent cottage, 5 suitable for disabled.
lift, lounge, drawing room, sun lounge, gallery, study, bar, library, light lunch room, 2 restaurants, conservatory, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), gym, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, 2-acre grounds, 2 boats, tennis, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms, gardens, not in public areas (except assistance dogs).
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £299–£845, D,B&B £319–£887. Set dinner £50, à la carte £50. Min. 2-night bookings at Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Family Traveller: Top 10 UK family hotels
- Country Life: 7 of the best beach hotels in Britain
- My Weekly: 10 of the best UK independent hotels
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Daily Mail: The Good Hotel Guide’s top 10 stays for 2019
Ultimate Flexibility Special Offer
For ultimate flexibility The Nare is allowing guests that book now the option to move their booking dates up to 48 hrs before arrival. This means you can book now, safe in the knowledge you can move it with ease should you need to. To benefit from this offer please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.