Good Hotel Guide Review
You can sit on the ramparts and watch for puffins, seals and invading armadas over a cream tea at this Elizabethan artillery castle and family-run hotel within star-shaped walls. ‘The location, setting and history are exceptional.’ Some castle rooms are very snug, though smart. Superior sea-view rooms are less cramped, with a four-poster or half-tester bed. Cottage-style annexe rooms and suites have a bath and shower, some with a veranda or private lawn. They are ‘where children and dogs are welcome and take a bit more wear and tear’, wrote a trusted reader on a return visit. All agree about the quality of the cooking – 'gourmet indeed' – in the dining room, and in the conservatory under a vine. ‘The food is totally amazing, and so well balanced.’ Typical dishes might feature venison with black truffle, or lobster and crab caught from the hotel’s own boat, with produce from the kitchen garden. The Dungeon bar is indeed in a dungeon, though painted a soothing blue. 'The gardens are really delightful, typical of Scilly, with a peaceful oasis corner complete with steamer chairs and a large children's playground nearby.'
Isles of Scilly
38. 27 in 2 garden wings.
all year, B&B only Nov–early Mar, closed Christmas and New Year.
lounge, bar, 2 restaurants, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, sun deck, 2-acre gardens, covered swimming pool (12 by 4 metres), tennis, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £20, early supper for under-5s.
allowed in garden bedrooms (£15 a night, bowls, blankets), lounge, bar, not in restaurants.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £250. Set-price menu £55. 1-night bookings usually refused (but call to check).
VisitEngland Four Star Country House Hotel
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Weddings and Honeymoons Magazine: Top 10 hotel wedding venues for 2023
- Wanderlust Magazine: 10 of the best historic hotels in Britain
- Golf Today: The Good Hotel Guide reveals its top 10 golf hotels
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- Family Traveller: Top 10 UK family hotels
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels