Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A haven of tranquillity from the moment you arrive’, this pub-with-rooms in a pretty Cornish fishing village gets full marks from readers who praise its ‘amazing rooms, food and views’. The Inkin brothers (see also The Gurnard’s Head, Zennor, and The Felin Fach Griffin, Felin Fach, Wales) have created a relaxed family- and dog-friendly vibe – ‘they even have a doggie station, with dog blankets, biscuits, poo bags’. The look is of effortless, casual chic: bare floorboards, comfy sofas, a blazing fire on cold days, lime-painted walls hung with works by local artists. ‘Spacious, boutique-style’ rooms have a Roberts radio, cafetière coffee and books, but no TV to detract from the sea view (‘try to get a balcony room’). Eat on the terrace in the ‘beautiful gardens’ or in the Upper Deck, gazing out to St Clement’s Island. Chef Jamie Porter shares the owners’ passion for local, sustainable produce, which shines in dishes such as wild sea bass with mussel velouté. ‘The food is always great,’ writes one reader. ‘Our favourite place to stay in Cornwall,’ writes another. ‘Breakfasts are to die for.’ (CM, KB, and others)
all year except 24/25 Dec.
bar, sun lounge, restaurant, sea-facing garden with path to beach, no in-room TV, parking, restaurant and bar wheelchair accessible.
Radio 4 at breakfast, selected music at other mealtimes.
all ages welcomed, no charge for under-5s, extra bed for 5 and over £25, children's menu.
allowed in bedrooms (no charge, treats, towels, bowls), in bar and on sun deck, not in dining room.
B&B doubles from £157.50, singles from £115. Set dinner £27, à la carte £32. 1-night bookings only rarely refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Old Coastguard
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- Visit Cornwall: Top dog friendly hotels in Cornwall
- Country Life: 10 award-winning hotels to visit in 2020
- The Lady: Award winning hotels to visit in 2020
- Cosmopolitan: The 10 best hotels in the UK have been named, perfect for your next staycation
- express.co.uk: UK’s 10 best hotels revealed
- Daily Mail: The very best of British
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- Food and Travel: 10 of the best pubs with rooms