This architectural gem – an Edwardian Scots Revival country house – in the fertile Howe of Cromar, with long views to the Grampians, is today a very special country house hotel. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
This architectural gem – an Edwardian Scots Revival country house – in the fertile Howe of Cromar, with long views to the Grampians, is today a very special country house hotel. It is owned by the charitable MacRobert Trust, set up by Lady MacRobert after the baronetcy died with her three sons in flying tragedies before and in WW2. There is a sense of peace and grace in public rooms, painted in gentle, traditional hues and filled with family portraits and mementos. Bedrooms are a blend of classic and contemporary style. One has a private roof terrace. Loveliest is the dual-aspect Lady MacRobert Suite, under a corner turret. There are dog-friendly apartments and cottages a short walk away. You can dine in the conservatory, looking out over landscaped grounds with stream, rock pools, infinity lawn and beech walk. Or in the intimate Library for a tasting menu with wine flight. Rare varieties of organic fruit and vegetables from the walled kitchen garden appear on Victor Navarro’s clever menus. Military guests are offered a discount, and all have use of the health club.
23. 9 in cottages, 4 apartments, 2 cottages suitable for disabled.
all year excl. 2 weeks Jan, closed Mon, Tues Nov–Mar.
bar, wine bar, piano lounge, library, 2 restaurants, in-room TV, wedding facilities, health centre (pool, tennis), 17-acre grounds, public areas wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in bar, restaurants.
all ages welcomed, cots free, extra bed £35, children's menu, play park.
allowed in cottages, apartments (£25 per stay), not main building.
B&B doubles from £260, singles from £243. Dinner (Conservatory) pound;45–£55, tasting menu (Library, Wed–Sat) £85.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for New Year in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 country house hotels and castles in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best country house stays Scotland has to offer
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- The i: Ten of Britain’s best hotel gardens
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
Comments about Douneside House