Good Hotel Guide Review
A 'paradise for foodies and garden lovers in a tranquil corner of Aberdeenshire', this country-house hotel in the fertile Howe of Cromar is an architectural gem. The Edwardian Scottish Revival country house is owned by the charitable MacRobert Trust, set up by Lady MacRobert after the baronetcy died with her three sons in flying tragedies before and during WW2. There is a sense of peace and grace in public rooms, painted in gentle, traditional hues and filled with family portraits and mementos. Bedrooms are a blend of classic and contemporary style. There are dog-friendly apartments, and cottages a short walk away. A reader loved their 'cosy and beautifully warm room', which was 'comfortably furnished with modern lighting', with home-made dog biscuits. You can dine in the conservatory, looking out over 'immaculately maintained' grounds with stream, rock pools, infinity lawn and beech walk, or in the intimate, candlelit Library for a tasting menu with wine flight. Fruit and veg from the walled kitchen garden appear on both menus. 'Staff were meticulous.' Military guests are offered a discount, and all have use of the health club. (Robert Gower)
23. 9 in cottages, 4 apartments, 2 cottages suitable for disabled.
all year excl. 2 weeks Jan, closed Mon, Tues Nov–Mar.
bar, wine bar, piano lounge, 2 restaurants (veg menu), in-room TV, wedding facilities, health centre (12.5m pool, tennis), 17-acre grounds, EV charging, public areas wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in bar, restaurants.
all ages welcomed, cots free, extra bed £35, children's menu, play park.
allowed in cottages, apartments (£25 per stay), not main building.
B&B doubles from £260, singles from £243. Dinner (Conservatory) £25-£35 (2/3 courses), tasting menu (Library, Wed–Sun) £85.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for New Year in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 country house hotels and castles in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best country house stays Scotland has to offer
- Scottish Field: Ten of the best hotels for golfers in Scotland
- The i: Ten of Britain’s best hotel gardens
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking