Good Hotel Guide Review
Roses festoon this family and dog-friendly 17th-century pub-with-rooms, in a thriving village close to the RSPB’s Snettisham Nature Reserve. ‘We’ve stayed several times and it just gets better,’ writes one reader. ‘Clean, comfortable, full of character', says another. Bedrooms are pretty, cottage-style, well equipped, with ‘everything you would want, including cafetière, home-made biscuits, fab shower’. On cold days fires burn in cosy bars. You can dine in the Cellar Bar, the Garden Room, or outside, from a menu of whizzed-up and staple pub classics – fishcakes, fennel and mooli slaw, saffron aioli; chargrilled steak, wild mushroom risotto. ‘Delicious food – Brancaster mussels and "variations of cauliflower” one night, good old fish and chips in the bar the next. All excellent value.' Owners Jeannette and Anthony Goodrich take such evident pride in their venture. Since adding a residents’ lounge, they have installed a new beach hut serving ‘street food’ in the garden, with the Merry Rose climbing ship. ‘Outstanding breakfasts’ include a Norfolk kipper, loaded croissants, eggs Benedict. (Norma Morris, Jamie and Cary Norman, and others)
Old Church Road
16. 2 on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year except lunch on 25 Dec.
3 bar areas, 2 restaurant rooms, residents lounge, in-room TV (Freeview), large walled garden with beach hut bar (children’s play area, climbing ship), EV charging, Garden Room restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
low-key, mainly soft jazz in dining areas.
all ages welcomed, cots £10, extra bed £20, children's menu.
well-behaved dogs allowed in bedrooms (max. 2, £15 a night), bars and garden room, not in dining areas. Dog mat, bowl, biscuits, poo bags.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £140, singles from £110. À la carte £40.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Rose & Crown
- The Sun: Rooms with a Brew
- The Good Pub Guide: Best gastro pubs with rooms in Norfolk
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British inns
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Eastern Daily Press: 7 of the best dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Eastern Daily Press: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Norfolk in 2019
- Norfolk Magazine: 10 Dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk