35. 10 (for families) in cottage, 13 around courtyard, on ground floor, some suitable for disabled.
lounge, 2 bars, 2 restaurants, creche, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, 220-acre grounds (tennis, heated outdoor 8-metre swimming pool, play area, spa with 16-metre pool), public areas wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in courtyard bedrooms, not in public rooms.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B £229–£374, D,B&B £309–£454. A la carte (Conservatory) £50, (Gumstool Inn) £35.
VisitEngland Four Star Hotel
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A lovely, family-friendly hotel,’ was Guide inspectors’ verdict on this 16th-century stone manor house with spa in beautiful grounds, ‘looking out over rolling hills’. Bedrooms, in main house and converted buildings around a courtyard, some with rustic timbers, are individually styled and chic. Extras include fresh fruit, biscuits, aromatherapy toiletries. A family room had ‘books, a jug of water, an espresso machine’, modern bathroom with ‘very large walk-in shower, an appealing tub’. ‘Morning tea and newspaper with no charge – great,’ writes a reader this year. The atmosphere is ‘cosy and intimate’. Fires burn in ‘informal public spaces’. There is gastropub fare in the Gumstool Inn while, in the conservatory, chef Richard Davies’s dishes include slow-cooked fillet of Calcot organic beef, salsify, baby leek, shallot mash. Staff are ‘young, enthusiastic, happy’ – although one guest found the service inattentive, the interpretation of Caesar salad disappointing. Breakfast brings smoothies, kedgeree, ‘tasty egg dishes’, smoked ham. This is an overtly child-orientated place, but various age limits apply to spa and other facilities. Barnsley House, The Painswick and Lord Crewe Arms have the same owners (see entries).
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: Top 10 Cotswolds Wedding Venues
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- Welcome to the Cotswolds: A ‘Good Hotel Guide’ to some of the best hotels in the Cotswolds
- The Independent: Britain’s best spa hotels
- MSN Travel: The 10 Best UK Hotels For A Family Holiday