Good Hotel Guide Review
Everything is peachy at this apricot-hued Georgian country house in the Vale of Belvoir, at the end of a long avenue of lime trees, transformed from a family home into a delightful, idiosyncratic and much-loved hotel. It is run by Lila Arora, whose grandmother, the late chatelaine extraordinaire Imogen Skirving, inherited the house in 1983 and – inspired by a dream – welcomed paying guests there as friends. ‘Distinctive and interesting’ bedrooms have antiques, paintings, clocks, books, cameos, curios and a story. Cartland was a favourite of the ‘Pink Lady of Romance’ (but is no longer pink). A reader had a ‘wonderful, cosy room’ that was ‘mock Tudor, done well’. Ground-floor Barrister, with panelled walls and porcelain plates around the picture rail, was where a QC pal of Imogen’s hung out his suit. Public rooms are similarly beguiling with a ‘small bar and lovely sitting room’. In the flagstone-floored dining room, Gary Booth’s short menus include locally sourced dishes such as fillet of Blackberry Farm beef, ox cheek and salsa verde, or salt-baked beetroot, herb falafel. ‘The food was superb, cooking imaginative and locally sourced.’ (Ingle Dawson, Katherine Putnam)
13. 1 on ground floor, 3 in annexe, 1 in garden chalet, 1 in pod.
all year Thurs–Sun apart from 1 Jan-16 Jan.
bar, study, garden room, main dining room, Indian room, sitting room, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds, restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
at lunch and dinner.
all ages welcomed, family rooms.
in some bedrooms (£20 per stay), sitting room and bar, not in restaurant.
B&B doubles from £135. Fixed-price dinner £70.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Independent: The UK’s best country house hotels
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings