Good Hotel Guide Review
A linden avenue leads to this apricot-washed Georgian mansion in parkland, beside St Andrew’s church in a Vale of Belvoir village, with a river running through. ‘The surroundings are beautiful,’ write trusted readers. In the same family since 1868, it was opened as a hotel in 1983 by the late, much-missed Imogen Skirving. Today, her granddaughter, Lila Arora, continues the welcoming tradition. Each bedroom has character, from The Nursery to Barbara Cartland’s favourite, no longer pink but with Cole & Son silver birch wallpaper. Edwards has the original four-poster. Dog-friendly Barristers, beloved of a learned friend, is on the ground floor. Cottage-style Cricketers, in a separate wing, has a country cottage feel. It’s not perfect (‘our room was small and the window could not be shut’) but it has many saving graces. Chef Gary Booth, in his 19th year here, devises menus around local ingredients. For instance, braised shoulder of Langar lamb, roast Belvoir partridge or wild mushroom risotto. Breakfast is served in a ‘cheerful, sunny conservatory’, cocktails in the bar, tea on the lawn. (J and JM)
13. 1 on ground floor, 3 in annexe, 1 in garden chalet, 1 pod.
study/sitting room, bar, garden room, main dining room, Indian room, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds, restaurant wheelchair accessible.
at lunch and dinner.
all ages welcomed.
in some bedrooms, sitting room and bar, not in restaurant (£20 a night).
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £110–£180, double £130–£225, Agnews/Pod £110–£125. Fixed-price dinner £25–£32.50 (Sun, Mon), £42.50–£47.50 (Tues–Thurs), £54.50 (Fri, Sat).
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford