Good Hotel Guide Review
‘We arrived on a golden Indian summer late afternoon to a warm welcome, culminating in tea on the lawn, looking beyond the ha-ha to a field.’ A much-loved hotel, this apricot-washed Georgian mansion in the Vale of Belvoir lies at the end of a lime avenue, beside the church of St Andrew. ‘A charming place, relaxed and caring’, it is run by Lila Arora, granddaughter of the late chatelaine, Imogen Skirving. Bedrooms (three in a separate wing) are characterful, with views over parkland ornamented with sculptures. From pretty Marks, named after Imogen’s brother, and decorated with Louise Body’s ‘Pavilion Birds’ wallpaper, to four-poster Bohemia with poetry on the walls, via The Nursery and Barbara Cartland room (beloved of the romantic novelist), each is a picture, and each picture tells a story. ‘The warmth of the welcome carried on to our excellent dinner in a beautiful, classical dining room.’ Gary Booth’s menus include such dishes as assiette of Langar lamb, beetroot, home-made ricotta, pistachio pesto. There are niggles (a limp kipper, a mix-up over a booking), but ‘the delightful ambience and excellent dinner cancelled out the shortcomings’. (Jock and Jane Macdonald, and others)
13. 1 on ground floor, 3 in annexe, 1 in garden chalet, 1 pod.
Study/sitting room, bar, garden room, main dining room, Indian room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds (gardens, children’s play area), restaurant wheelchair accessible.
at lunch and dinner.
all ages welcomed.
in bedrooms, sitting room and bar, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £110–£180, double £125–£225, Agnews/Pod £110–£125. Set dinner (Fri, Sat) £54.50, other nights £39–£44.50.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- experiencenottinghamshire.com: A Paul Smith-themed shopping weekend in Nottingham
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland