12. 1 on ground floor, 1 in garden chalet.
sitting room, study, library, bar, garden room, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds (gardens, children’s play area), unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, by arrangement.
small dogs on a lead allowed by arrangement, not unaccompanied.
 per room B&B £100–£225. Set dinner (Fri, Sat) £49.50, other nights £25–£30.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Down an avenue of lime trees stands this characterful hotel in ‘magical grounds’, its apricot-washed facade a welcome sight to its legions of loyal fans. After the death of its spirited chatelaine, Imogen Skirving, Lila Arora, her granddaughter, now stands at the helm, supported by an ‘enthusiastic team’ of long-serving, ‘well-trained’ staff. ‘With the obvious exception, everything is exactly as before,’ says a Guide reader this year. ‘It is, as it always has been, like staying with friends in the country.’ Within the Georgian house, highly individual bedrooms and faintly eccentric public rooms (some with an air of England-by-way-of-India) are filled with fine paintings, antiques, ‘a relaxed atmosphere’. ‘Dinner continues to be reliable, from the Marmite popcorn onwards.’ A typical dish: ‘very good’ roast Belvoir pheasant, potato terrine, bread sauce croquette. Most striking, perhaps, is the spirit of generosity and openness – a reflection of its founder. ‘The first time money was mentioned during my stay was when I paid the bill the morning of my departure. What a refreshing change from those establishments that produce a chit to sign at every turn.’ (Nick Patton, Peter Jowitt)
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- experiencenottinghamshire.com: A Paul Smith-themed shopping weekend in Nottingham
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Castle Hotels Fit for Lords and Ladies
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.