13. 1 on ground floor, 3 in annexe, 1 in garden chalet, 1 pod.
Study/sitting room, bar, garden room, main dining room, Indian room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds (gardens, children's play area), restaurant wheelchair accessible.
at lunch and dinner.
all ages welcomed.
in bedrooms, sitting room and bar, not in restaurant.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B single £110-£180, double £125-£225. Set dinner (Fri, Sat) £54.50, other nights £37.50-£42.50
Good Hotel Guide Review
Readers ‘had a really lovely, relaxing stay’ at Lila Arora’s apricot-washed Georgian mansion, approached by an avenue of lime trees amid sheep-grazed pastures. Ms Arora is the granddaughter of the late chatelaine, Imogen Skirving, whose personality still infuses the place. The atmosphere is that of an elegant but lived-in private home, filled with paintings, antique clocks, ornaments, crammed bookcases. Your bedroom might have a four-poster, a rocking chair, Staffordshire china dogs on the mantelpiece. Cartland is the very feminine room Dame Barbara favoured. Three rooms are in a wing reached via the church garden at the rear. At dinner, Gary Booth’s fixed-price menus include such dishes as fillet of Blackberry Farm beef, caramelised hispi cabbage, tempura oyster. Its ‘pleasant, cheerful young staff’ are perhaps not yet up to speed, ‘so service was a bit dilatory’. After confusion over soufflé and soup, other Guide regulars described it as ‘eccentric but willing’. A minor grumble, however. In sum: ‘Great room. Magical grounds, as well as lots of history.’ (Peter and Anne Davies, NP, PJ, A and CR)
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- experiencenottinghamshire.com: A Paul Smith-themed shopping weekend in Nottingham
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Castle Hotels Fit for Lords and Ladies