12. 1 on ground floor, 1 in garden chalet.
sitting room, study, library, bar, garden room, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 30-acre grounds (gardens, children’s play area), unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, by arrangement.
small dogs on a lead allowed by arrangement, not unaccompanied.
 per room B&B single £100–£160, double £125–£225, D,B&B rates available Sun, Mon nights. Set dinner (Fri, Sat) £49.50, other nights £25, à la carte £50.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘High standards are faultlessly maintained’ at this somewhat eccentric, wholly likeable hotel in the Vale of Belvoir. It was run with much spirit by Imogen Skirving, the well-loved chatelaine, until her sudden death in 2016; an ‘enthusiastic young team’ upholds her traditions. Within the apricot-coloured house – bought by the late owner’s great-grandmother in 1860 – guests are greeted with ‘thoughtfulness’ and ‘consideration’. ‘The staff are attentive but never intrusive.’ Public rooms and bedrooms are ‘well furnished in a restrained country house style’, with fine paintings and antiques. ‘The bedrooms are individual, and contain some surprises. Cartland has a step in the middle of the floor, which can be a minor hazard for nocturnal expeditions.’ Take afternoon tea in the brightly decorated garden room (while the children play on the swings and trampoline outside); at dinner, enjoy ‘reliable’ dishes – perhaps Langar lamb, heritage baby beetroot, goat’s curd – along with an ‘extensive’ wine list. ‘Game is excellent; twice-baked cheese soufflé is equally good at either end of the meal.’ (Peter Jowitt)
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- experiencenottinghamshire.com: A Paul Smith-themed shopping weekend in Nottingham
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Castle Hotels Fit for Lords and Ladies
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.