17. 2-bedroomed suite in cottage.
lift, hall, drawing room/bar, restaurant, 2 private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky), civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds (tennis, swimming pool (heated May–Sept), croquet, vegetable garden).
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms (not unattended), hall, not in public rooms.
all major cards.
per room B&B single £200, double £290–£600. Excluding service, set dinner £73, tasting menu £92. 1-night bookings normally refused weekends (but call to check).
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Perfection to the very last detail,’ writes a reader this year, of Tim and Stefa Hart’s hotel (Relais & Château) with landscaped gardens stretching down to Rutland Water. ‘Welcoming staff and outstanding food and service.’ ‘A lovely, civilised place,’ adds a Guide regular in 2018. ‘Faultless,’ another endorses. The house was built as a hunting lodge in 1881 for a wealthy brewer, whose society-hostess sister Eva Astley Cooper entertained the likes of Noël Coward and Malcolm Sargent in the drawing room. The bedrooms, individually designed by Stefa Hart, have fresh flowers, stamped postcards, biscuits from the hotel’s celebrated bakery. The restaurant has held its Michelin star since 1982, with Aaron Patterson running the kitchen since 1992. His modern European cooking uses locally produced and foraged ingredients, including fruit and vegetables from the kitchen garden. For example, breast of Merrifield Farm duck, mandarin, black beans. The grounds are a colourful patchwork of topiary, ornamental ponds, statuary and a parterre. A sister hotel is Hart’s, Nottingham (see entry). (Lee Menzies, Sara HollowellRG, AB, RS)
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels for summer holidays
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- The i: These are officially the best hotels in Great Britain and Ireland
- Daily Mail: The best hotels in Britain
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- The Independent: Ten of the best hotels for vegetarians
Summer Breaks in Rutland
Summer Breaks in Rutland from £475 per couple, Sunday to Thursday, May to October 2019. The offer includes: One night’s accommodation in a Standard double bedroom. 3 courses and coffee from the Menu of the Day. Full Hambleton breakfast. Inclusive of VAT and based on 2 people sharing. Limited availability, excludes Bank Holidays. This menu is inclusive of a discretionary service charge of 12.5%. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.