Good Hotel Guide Review
‘We have been staying at Hambleton Hall for over 20 years and have never been disappointed; the service is impeccable, the room immaculate, and the food outstanding.’ The praises keep on coming for Tim and Stefa Hart’s ‘star’ Relais & Châteaux hotel, a Victorian mansion which embodies the classic English country house style from its ‘stunning manicured gardens’ overlooking Rutland Water to its sweep of public rooms with panelled walls, deep sofas and open fires. On arrival, suitcases are whisked away while you settle down to tea and biscuits. Bedrooms are classic country house: rich fabrics and wallpapers, antiques, a roll-top bath, fresh flowers and home-made treats. All have ‘uplifting views’ of garden or lake and ‘exceptionally good’ housekeeping. With the UK’s longest-held Michelin star, the rich red dining room offers ‘magnificent food’, such as duck with peanut purée, roast venison with butternut squash and dark chocolate, and quince soufflé with almond ice cream. Service throughout the hotel is ‘consistently of a very high standard – it’s challenging to find anywhere else that comes near’. (Roderic Rennison, Frances Thomas, AB)
17. 2-bedroom suite in cottage.
lift, hall, drawing room/bar, restaurant (vegetarian menu), 2 private dining rooms, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds (tennis, swimming pool, croquet, vegetable garden), EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible, no adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, cot £25, extra bed £35, no under-5s in restaurant.
allowed in bedrooms (£10 per night, not unattended), hall.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £295, singles from £210. Set dinner £83, tasting menu £98. 1-night bookings normally refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The i: 12 hotels with outdoor pools
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British hotels with beautiful gardens
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- The Mirror: Best UK hotels with a view
- The Sun: Ten amazing UK hotels where breathtaking scenery comes as standard
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- My Weekly: 10 of the best UK independent hotels