Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A hidden gem on the Welsh border’, the Hunter family’s ‘highly dog-friendly’ hotel, in a Georgian former rectory, basks in praise from our readers. ‘This idyllic haven is better than ever,’ wrote one returnee. ‘The cream tea on arrival was lovely, with warm scones, plenty of clotted cream and homemade jam,’ said another. Several of the comfortable bedrooms, in the rectory and coach house, and the Valley Room and Suite at the top of the flower-filled garden, have a patio from which to enjoy breathtaking views. Some have a spa bath. ‘Our room on the first floor had a state-of-the-art power shower.’ In 2018, after 30 years at the helm, Miles and Audrey Hunter handed over the day-to-day running to two of their children, Tommy and Charlotte, whose sibling Henry runs the lauded Castle Hotel (see entry, Bishop’s Castle). A wide-ranging, nightly changing menu includes dishes such as venison with blueberry and cassis jus. ‘The cheese soufflé was really good, plaice fillet beautifully prepared; venison tender and tasty.’ A newsletter with breakfast lends a charming personal touch. ‘Tom and his team deserve every accolade for making our stay memorable.’ (Sara Price, Gordon Evans, Robert Gower)
14. 4, each with patio, in coach house, 2 garden suites with patio, 1 on ground floor.
all year except Christmas.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), EV charging, 5-acre grounds (summer house, dog-walking area, fly-fishing pool).
in evening, in bar and restaurant.
not under 3 except by special arrangement, extra bed £50.
allowed if well behaved (no charge), max. 1 except by arrangement, not in public rooms after 6pm.
B&B doubles from £180, singles from £150. Set-price dinner £55. 1-night bookings occasionally refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- The Mirror: Best UK hotels with a view
- The Sun: Ten amazing UK hotels where breathtaking scenery comes as standard
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking
30% Discount Winter Special Offer
Winter Special Offer – 30% off November & December 2023. Prices based on 2 people sharing a double/twin room. Smaller Double Room: £101.50 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Standard Double Room £112.00 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast. Master Double Room £122.50 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast (Single Spa Bath or Private Patio). Superior Double Room £136.50 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast (Double Spa Bath). Superior Valley Room £140.00 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast (Double Spa Bath and Private Patio). Valley Suite £143.50 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast (Double Spa Bath, Lounge/Sofa Bedroom and Private Patio). Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.