Good Hotel Guide Review
A morning newsletter lends a personal touch at the Hunter family’s dog-friendly hotel in rolling countryside with views to the Welsh hills. It is run by Miles and Audrey Hunter with son Tommy and daughter Charlotte (sibling Henry has The Castle, Bishop’s Castle, see entry). ‘On arrival, we were treated to tea and scones,’ writes a reader on a return visit, touched that the kitchen had baked a gluten-free scone for him. Bedrooms are in the main house and coach house, with two new luxury rooms in a garden annexe. Several have a spa bath, some a private terrace. Our reader had ‘a super-king-size bed, comfy armchairs, and home-made brownies to boot’. Another added that the decor was ‘a bit tired’, but ‘the hotel has intrinsic charm’. Guide insiders enthused about the ‘wonderful location, building and garden’. At dinner the food was ‘tasty, cooked to a high standard’. At breakfast, ‘the menu is extensive, and some dishes are inventive’, but one couple with small children found the service slow. (Steve Hur, John Barnes, and others)
14. 4, each with patio, in coach house, 2 garden suites with patio, 1 on ground floor.
all year except Christmas.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), 5-acre grounds (summer house, dog-walking area, fly-fishing pool).
in evening in bar and restaurant.
not under 3.
allowed in some bedrooms, not in public rooms after 6.30 pm.
per person B&B £75–£110, D,B&B £99–£145, single occupancy £99–£120. Set menu £45. 1-night bookings occasionally refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- The Mirror: Best UK hotels with a view
- The Sun: Ten amazing UK hotels where breathtaking scenery comes as standard
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking
15% Discount Early Bird Autumn Special Offer
15% off all Dinner Bed and Breakfast bookings from October through to December if booked by June 31st 2021. Complimentary cream tea and cake included. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.