'As close to the Welsh border as you can get' this 'charming, family-run hotel' in a Georgian rectory has ‘tremendous views from the beautiful garden’. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘As close to the Welsh border as you can get’ this ‘charming, family-run hotel’ in a Georgian rectory has ‘tremendous views from the beautiful garden’. Miles and Audrey Hunter, with son and daughter Tommy and Charlotte, are natural hosts (see The Castle Hotel, Bishop’s Castle, for brother Henry’s venture). The personal attention impresses. ‘I was chuffed that they had a gluten-free scone for me with a cream tea on arrival,’ writes a returning guest. Bedrooms, some in the coach house, have the look of a smart private home. Several have a spa bath, a private patio, ‘magnificent views of the Welsh hills’. ‘We had a large room with giant bed … a bath with spa system and a fancy shower, which worked very well.’ A nightly changing menu caters to all, with ‘very generous portions’ of ‘well-cooked, tasty dishes’ such as pea and lemon risotto; haunch steak of venison, venison and apricot sausage, blueberry and cassis jus. ‘The cooked breakfast menu is extensive.’ ‘Excellent sautéed potatoes with the eggs and bacon.’ A morning newsletter with suggested activities adds to the hotel’s charm. (John G P Barnes, Steven Hur, and others)
14. 4, each with patio, in coach house, 2 garden suites with patio, 1 on ground floor.
all year except Christmas.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), 5-acre grounds (summer house, dog-walking area, fly-fishing pool).
in evening, in bar and restaurant.
not under 3 except by special arrangement, extra bed £50.
allowed in some bedrooms (no charge), max. 1 except by arrangement, not in public rooms after 6.30 pm.
B&B doubles from £170, singles from £130. Set-price dinner £53. 1-night bookings occasionally refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- The Mirror: Best UK hotels with a view
- The Sun: Ten amazing UK hotels where breathtaking scenery comes as standard
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking
Third Night Half Price Special Offer
Stay 2 nights in May or June and get the 3rd night half price. Stay any 2 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast and get a 3rd night half price. This offer is the price of the hotel’s normal dinner, bed and breakfast rate. Please ring or e-mail to redeem the below offer. Smaller Double Room 3 nights DBB = £550.00. Standard Double Room 3 nights DBB = £675.00. Master Double Room 3 nights DBB = £750.00. Superior Double Room 3 nights DBB = £800.00. Valley Room 3 nights DBB = £875.00. Valley Suite 3 nights DBB =£925.00. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
Comments about Pen-y-Dyffryn