Good Hotel Guide Review
We never want for glowing reports of this dog-friendly former Georgian rectory, ‘set in a secluded and beautiful valley’, with views to the Welsh hills. From tea and cakes on arrival to a morning newsletter, Miles and Audrey Hunter, with son Tommy and daughter Charlotte, care so well for their guests (sibling Henry has The Castle, Bishop’s Castle – hospitality is in their DNA). Rooms range from cosy to suites, in main house, coach house and stables, some with a terrace, a double spa bath. The style is eclectic, nothing shouts ‘designer’, but so what? ‘Our room was smallish but had everything we needed, and a stunning view across the valley,’ a reader writes. A nightly-changing menu caters to all, with dishes such as saddle of Welsh lamb with braised salt marsh lamb shoulder, ratatouille and couscous, sea bass with herb gnocchi, and good veggie options. ‘The food is absolutely superb,’ our reader continues, only wishing there had been more wines by the glass. Breakfast is similarly varied, with smoked haddock, field mushrooms on granary toast, the full English. (R Freeman, SH, JB, and others)
14. 4, each with patio, in coach house, 2 garden suites with patio, 1 on ground floor.
all year except Christmas.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), 5-acre grounds (summer house, dog-walking area, fly-fishing pool).
in evening in bar and restaurant.
not under 3, extra bed £35.
allowed in some bedrooms (no charge), not in public rooms after 6.30 pm.
B&B doubles from £160, singles from £110. Set menu £45. 1-night bookings occasionally refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- The Mirror: Best UK hotels with a view
- The Sun: Ten amazing UK hotels where breathtaking scenery comes as standard
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking
20% Discount Special Offer
20% off all Dinner Bed and Breakfast bookings from November 1st through to January 31st 2022. Complimentary cream tea and cake included. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking. Prices from £102.00 per person per night Dinner, Bed & Breakfast. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.