Good Hotel Guide Review
Arrive at this William and Mary house, with its lovely facade and 20 acres of gardens and parkland, and you’d think you were deep in the country – York, however, is just over a mile away. (The racecourse is handily opposite.) Step inside to elegant rooms of shuttered sash windows and wood-panelling, furnished with deep sofas, paintings and glowing table lamps. The house was given to the National Trust in 2008, but it’s not precious; there are newspapers to browse, and fires generously stoked, plus a charming, slightly dated spa in converted cottages. Bedrooms, split between the main hall and converted stable block and cottages, are traditional country house with antiques, patterned wallpapers, blankets and eiderdowns. Some have window seats, all have books, fresh flowers, fruit and home-made biscuits. Bathrooms are small but ‘spotless’. After canapés and drinks in the vast drawing room, dine on Modern British dishes such as chicken with spiced plum, or sea bream with scallop and sea aster. Breakfast offers freshly squeezed juice, leaf tea and cooked dishes such as poached haddock and a full grill.
29. 17 in courtyard, 2 in cottage, 1 suite suitable for disabled.
hall, drawing room, library, 2 dining rooms, 2 private dining rooms, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, 20-acre grounds, spa (10 by 6 metre indoor swimming pool), EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible, no adapted toilet.
not under 6, extra bed £55.
allowed in garden suites and cottage, by prior arrangement (no charge).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £230, singles from £155. Tasting menu £85, à la carte 3-course £60. 1-night bookings refused summer weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
- Best Ever Christmas: 10 wonderful Christmas hotel getaways
- Woman & Home: 10 luxury hotels for less than £200 a night
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Visit Britain: 8 gorgeous hotels to hibernate in over the British winter
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- MSN Travel: Top Ten Hotels for a Winter Weekend Break
- MSN Travel: The UK’s top 10 luxury spa hotels
Autumn/Winter Early Bird Special Offer
Autumn/Winter Early Birds: To obtain up to 20% discount off the published rates or for the best available rates guaranteed, please reserve your accommodation directly on www.middlethorpe.com or by telephoning 01904 641241.
Please quote ‘The Good Hotel Guide’ and you will receive a complimentary National Trust published handbook about the fascinating history of the Hall.