15. 2 on ground floor, 7 in stableyard conversion.
all year, dinner served Fri/Sat, cold platters on other nights, children’s high tea every day.
hall, drawing room, library (honesty bar), music (sitting) room, conservatory bar, dining room, cinema, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 20-acre grounds (landscaped garden, tennis).
all ages welcomed.
allowed in 2 bedrooms.
all major cards.
 per room B&B £180–£220. Set dinner £20–£25. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘It’s a home away from home,’ chorus fans in 2017 of the Bennett family’s ‘stunning, well-preserved’ 19th-century pile striking a pose in rambling grounds in the Eden valley. Sure – if home has claw-footed baths, turrets for wardrobes, an honesty bar packed with local ales and spirits, and stained-glass windows with wide countryside views. ‘A nice mix of castle and comfort’, with a ‘relaxed, welcoming atmosphere’, this is ‘no staid hotel’: ‘the down-to-earth owners make your stay very special’. Scattered with antiques, ‘comfortable bedrooms’ in the castle, former gatehouses and converted orangery are each ‘very different’ – book a room with a cast iron fireplace, or one with poetry on the ceiling. Weekend nights, ‘glorious dinners’ of local produce are served, house-party style, at shared tables (cold platters are available on other evenings). There are open fires, an Art Deco cinema (popcorn included), a library with games and dressing-up clothes for children. Outside, set off on wooded walks or take on the windswept fells beyond. ‘Simply first class.’ (Donna Harrison, Daniel McWilliams, Jan Hallam, Renee Cole, Debbie Dean)
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Visit Britain: Expect the unexpected at these 8 hotels
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- MSN Travel: The best UK staycations in Summer
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
- Daily Mail: 10 best hotels in Britain
- AskMen: 10 UK hotels in unusual buildings
- MSN Travel: the top 10 wedding hotels in UK and Ireland
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
A ruined castle with a Roman fort, now owned by English Heritage.
The largest of the English National Parks and the second largest in the United Kingdom.
A prehistoric circular earthwork bounded by a ditch and an outer bank, just South of Penrith.