Good Hotel Guide Review
On the banks of the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland, this ‘cheerful, doggy’ inn is chock-full of tradition, with stone-flagged floors, open fires, oak furniture and walls bedecked with paintings and hunting cartoons. Run by third-generation Bowmans with a team of ‘extremely friendly and helpful staff’, it serves local ales in the bar and has a good reputation for its food. Chef Jamie Cadman turns out ‘outstanding’ dishes such as slow-roast belly pork, whole roast grouse (in season) and a famed fish pie. Although carnivore heavy, the menu has ‘good vegetarian and vegan options’. There’s an ‘excellent’ wine list, too – and a wine shop if something takes your fancy. Bedrooms, including four outside rooms up a steep slope, are furnished with antiques, country-print fabrics and handsome artwork. Many have working fires, some have Victorian cabinet baths, four-posters, and restful river views. If you want to take full advantage of the waterside setting, there are seven miles of riverbank fishing, with the services of a ghillie should you need them. ‘We couldn’t recommend it more highly.’ (JS, R and MM-D)
23. 4 in coach house, 150 yds, 2 on ground floor.
3 bars, restaurant, boardroom, private dining room, in-house wine shop, spa treatments, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 5-acre grounds, terrace with tables, 7 miles' fishing (ghillie available), main bar, hall, reception wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, cots £6, extra bed £35.
allowed in bedrooms (no charge), public rooms, not in main dining room.
B&B doubles from £140, singles from £100. À la carte £40.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Inn at Whitewell
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- My Weekly: Top cosy hotels in the UK
- Living Edge: 10 top hotels in Cheshire and near Manchester
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- MSN: Ten UK hotels for outdoor pursuits