The Inn at Whitewell
Overlooking the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland, this sprawling 18th-century manor house is joyously traditional, with stone-flagged floors, open fires and bags of atmosphere. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
Overlooking the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland, this sprawling 18th-century manor house is joyously traditional, with stone-flagged floors, open fires and bags of atmosphere. Run by third-generation Bowmans, with ‘very friendly and helpful staff’, it is cheery and dog-friendly, with local ales in the bar and an established reputation for its food. ‘The evening meals in the bar were excellent.’ An 11-strong kitchen brigade turns out dishes such as slow-roast lamb shoulder, pan-fried sea bass with olive tapenade, and a famed fish pie; vegetarian dishes, too. The bar is ‘packed every night’ but service is still slick. Readers praised the ‘excellent wine list (and wine shop)’. Bedrooms, with six in converted outbuildings, some up a slope, are wonderfully individual, some verging on the flamboyant. Expect antiques, deep sofas, thick curtains, books and handsome artwork. Many have working fires or wood-burners, some have beams, hand-painted wallpaper, Victorian cabinet baths and four-posters. Go fishing (there are seven miles of river available), borrow an electric bike or enjoy a board game by the fire.
25. 4 in coach house, 2 in former barn, 150 yds, 2 on ground floor.
3 bars, restaurant, boardroom, private dining room, in-house wine shop, spa treatments, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 5-acre grounds, terrace with tables, 7 miles' fishing (ghillie available), main bar, hall, reception wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, cots £6, extra bed £35.
allowed in bedrooms (no charge), public rooms, not in main dining room.
B&B doubles from £145, singles from £103. À la carte £40.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Inn at Whitewell
- Weddings and Honeymoons Magazine: Top 10 hotel wedding venues for 2023
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- My Weekly: Top cosy hotels in the UK
- Living Edge: 10 top hotels in Cheshire and near Manchester
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
Comments about The Inn at Whitewell