Good Hotel Guide Review
It’s a scenic crossing from Oban to this island of white-sand beaches, where the one hotel stands on a hillside overlooking the harbour, with views to neighbouring Jura. Built in 1750, it is at the heart of social life for the 135 islanders, and welcomes visitors drawn by the beauty, the peace and abundant wildlife. ‘I cannot recommend it highly enough,’ writes a trusted reader, charmed by the ‘friendly, welcoming’ staff. ‘The young man in the bar worked his socks off to please everyone.’ There are plenty of spaces to relax in the stylish bar and lounges, with log-burner and comfy sofas. The bedrooms have plain paintwork, artwork, designer fabrics, oak furniture. Pig’s Paradise, a double with adjoining single, is named after dramatic cliffs where guillemots nest in their thousands (paradise for birdwatchers, less so for Gadarene swine). Gastropub-style food is served in the bar, old dining room or more formal restaurant, from a seasonally changing menu big on locally landed seafood – fish pie, lobster, rib-eye steak, burger. ‘Breakfast and dinner were delicious. We will definitely be back.’ (Caroline Hands)
Isle of Colonsay
Argyll and Bute
mid-Mar–Nov, Christmas, New Year.
conservatory, 2 lounges, log room, bar, restaurant, Wi-Fi on ground floor only, in-room TV (Sky), 1-acre grounds, EV charging, ground-floor public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in bar sometimes.
all ages welcomed, under-12s sharing Pig's Paradise stay free, children's menu.
allowed in 2 bedrooms (£10 per night), public rooms except restaurant.
B&B doubles from £115, singles from £85, family from £130. Pre-ferry set menus £22–£35 Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sat, à la carte £30.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: The Good Hotel Guide’s top picks for Hebridean adventures post lockdown
- Sunday Post: The top places to stay for fishing in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of Argyll and Bute’s best dog-friendly getaways
- Family Traveller: Top 10 UK family hotels
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels in Argyll and Bute
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- Sunday Post: Top 10 walking hotels in Scotland
- The Independent: The UK’s Best Seaside Hotels