It feels a bit like finding platform 9¾ but trust us: buzz an intercom to enter a grand, buff-stone railway office block by Glasgow Central, ride the lift to the penthouse and step into a cool city hotel. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
It feels a bit like finding platform 9¾ but trust us: buzz an intercom to enter a grand, buff-stone railway office block by Glasgow Central, ride the lift to the penthouse and step into a cool city hotel. Created to offer unstuffy, affordable luxury, it is run by a welcoming team, and combines Scandi urban chic with the original features of the classical-style Edwardian Caledonian Chambers. Some bedrooms overlook the station’s Victorian glazed roof. All have bespoke ash laminate furniture, a king-size bed, a desk, handmade wallpaper, oak flooring, Pedrali lighting, a Grohe power shower, Arran Aromatics toiletries, bottled water – and Smarties. On arrival guests are offered tea or coffee and home-baked cake, with a constant supply of daily treats such as sausage rolls, gingerbread and ice cream. There is a sitting room with blue panelling and modern artwork, but the kitchen is the hub, a place to relax over a help-yourself deli supper on weekday nights. At breakfast there are cheeses and charcuterie, eggs and bacon, fruit, yoghurts, kedgeree on certain days. Half-price parking nearby is a boon.
87 Union Street
0141 222 2666
all year except week at Christmas, food served Mon–Thurs (weekend suppers, given a day's notice).
breakfast/supper room, sitting room with small bar, in-room TV (Freeview), discounted car parking, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, no charge for cot or extra bed for under-12s if space allows (request at time of booking).
small dogs allowed if they can be left in room (no charge, no barking).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £85, singles from £75, triples from £115. À la carte £17.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain magazine: Ten of the best hotels in British towns and cities
- The Sun: The best value hotels in the UK
- Sunday Post: Top hotels near the Highland Games
- Sunday Post: 10 of the top hotels for a New Year break in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top city hotels in Scotland
- The Sun Online: UK’s best hotels for £100 and under
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best value hotels in Scotland
- Visit Britain: 5 amazing hotels that won’t break the bank
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels for a British city break
Comments about Grasshoppers