48. Some on ground floor, plus 3-bed cottage in grounds, suitable for disabled.
Great Hall, library, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa, swimming pools, terrace, tennis, 376-acre National Trust gardens, public areas wheelchair accessible.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
not allowed in restaurants, spa or parts of garden.
all major cards.
per room B&B £495-£2,175, D,B&B £615-£2,295. Tasting menu £98, a la carte £73. .
Good Hotel Guide Review
Having hosted everyone from Winston Churchill to Meghan Markle the night before the royal wedding, this ‘superbly refurbished’ Italianate mansion seduces visitors with the prospect of ‘luxurious country house living’. The 17th-century stately home, horseshoeing around the Fountain of Love, is renowned for its ‘exceptional hospitality’, ‘stunning bedrooms’ and intriguing aristocratic and political past. Expansive Thames views, ‘beautiful grounds’ and ‘exquisite cuisine’ are the finishing touches. ‘We had a sublime time,’ reports a regular reader, celebrating a special occasion this year. ‘Lovely’, eclectically styled bedrooms ‘lack for nothing’, with a ‘fetchingly old-fashioned bathroom’; even some smaller rooms have a private terrace with a hot tub. André Garrett’s ‘outstanding’ modern menu (including a solid vegetarian option) is served in the original drawing room overlooking the 19th-century parterre, or in the informal Astor Grill, where classic American and British dishes feature. In warmer weather, champagne cruises and picnics on the Thames can be arranged. Chewton Glen, New Milton (see entry), is under the same ownership. (Matthew Caminer, and others)
- Visit South Eastern England: 6 family-friendly hotels for half-term breaks in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Visit Britain: Seven hotels to make you go wow
- The Independent: Ten of the best UK hotels with gardens
Three for Two Short Break
Three nights for the price of two. Complimentary night stay. Three nights from £890.00 to £3,070. Prices are per room per stay and inclusive of full English breakfast and VAT. The above rates are valid from Sunday to Thursday, weekend rates are available at a supplement.
To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.