Good Hotel Guide Review
As you approach this glorious Italianate Thames-side summer palace designed by Charles Barry and set in 376 acres of National Trust grounds, it ‘feels as if you are on the film set of Pride and Prejudice’, says a Guide insider (see also Chewton Glen, New Milton). Cliveden exudes ‘history in every corner, from ornate fireplaces and suits of armour, to the spectacular carved staircase’. Bedrooms, named after famous past guests, are filled with antiques. ‘Buckingham, with its oak-panelled walls and fireplace, and views over the parterre to the Thames, has a bathroom that could hold a rugby team, with Carrara-marble screens behind the bath and basins.’ Even Kipling, the smallest, ‘has an impressive stucco ceiling’. Paul O’Neill’s fine-dining menus include such dishes as roasted cod loin with crab ‘lasagne’, fennel and apple, and separate menus for children, vegetarians and vegans. The dining room, with its white linen and chandeliers, ‘feels a little overly formal; I preferred the relaxed Astor Grill in the former stables, now beautifully done out with blue banquettes’. (JK)
47. Some on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
Great Hall, bar/lounge, library, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa, swimming pools, 376-acre National Trust estate, public areas wheelchair accessible.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms, public areas (excl. 1 restaurant, spa, parts of garden).
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £495–£1,635, D,B&B £615–£1,755. Tasting menu £97.50, à la carte £73. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for hilly walks in South East England
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Visit South Eastern England: 6 family-friendly hotels for half-term breaks in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London