48. Some on ground floor, plus 3-bed cottage in grounds.
Great Hall, library, 2 restaurants, private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa, swimming pools, terrace, tennis, 376-acre National Trust gardens.
all day in public spaces.
all ages welcomed.
not allowed in restaurants, spa or parts of garden.
all major cards.
 per room B&B £495–£2,175, D,B&B £615–£2,295. Tasting menu £97.50, à la carte £72.50. 1-night bookings occasionally refused.
Good Hotel Guide Review
For ‘exceptional service’, a scandalous history, and rich views of the Thames, you’d be hard pressed to better this extensively restored Italianate mansion. The ‘beautiful grounds’, ‘stunning bedrooms’, ‘exquisite cuisine’ and ‘attentive, personable staff’ win praise from guests, who consider the experience ‘worth every penny’. The many bedrooms – ‘some opulent, some austere, all different’ – have been ‘stunningly refurbished’ in a pleasing mix of modern and classic styles. Even some of the smallest have a private terrace with a hot tub and courtyard views. ‘Our suite was eccentric and fabulous at the same time, with a lovely, old-fashioned bathroom.’ Gather in the informal Astor Grill for classic American and British dishes, or nab a table by a window in the ‘flawless’ restaurant to gaze over the 19th-century parterre while dining on chef André Garrett’s ‘excellent’ modern meals. On a fine day, the river beckons: hire one of the hotel’s vintage launches for a champagne cruise or picnic lunch on the water. Under the same private ownership as Chewton Glen, New Milton.
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- Suitcase: Seven beautiful hotels within two hours of London
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- Visit Britain: Seven hotels to make you go wow
- The Independent: Ten of the best UK hotels with gardens
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.