An equestrian statue of Frederick, Prince of Wales, marks your arrival at this glorious Jacobean-cum-Georgian mansion, a hotel since the late 1980s. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
An equestrian statue of Frederick, Prince of Wales, marks your arrival at this glorious Jacobean-cum-Georgian mansion, a hotel since the late 1980s. ‘A beautiful country house with personal service at its core’, it gazes over an 18th-century landscape, with Ionic temple, obelisk, a lake spanned by an arch from the old Kew Bridge. Restored by Historic House Hotels and owned by the National Trust (see Middlethorpe Hall, York, and Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, Llandudno), it is beautifully presented, with perfectly judged antiques and spectacular original features. ‘What a wonderful hotel, perfect in every way for all our requirements,’ writes a reader this year. The ‘lovely accommodation’ ranges from classic double rooms with coffee machine and home-made biscuits to ‘royal’ rooms and suites, some with four-poster. There are further rooms and dog-friendly suites in a converted 18th-century riding school. Dress formally to dine on such elaborate dishes as pan-fried sea bream, chicken-braised pearl barley, caramelised chicory, pickled artichoke, roasted yeast sauce. ‘Catering at the highest level made our stay a real treat.’ (Ralph Wilson, CC)
48. 16 in stable block, some on ground floor, 1, in main house, suitable for disabled.
all year, closed for lunch weekdays.
Great Hall, morning room, drawing room, library, 2 dining rooms, function facilities, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (indoor pool), 94-acre gardens and parkland, tennis, EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
not under 6, no extra beds.
allowed in stables suites (max. 2 small/1 large, no charge).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £260, singles £225. Set-price dinner £74.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Luxury Lifestyle Magazine: 10 of the top UK hotels for a luxury Christmas in 2022
- Britain magazine: The 10 best British country house hotels
- Best Ever Christmas: 10 wonderful Christmas hotel getaways
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Visit South Eastern England: 6 family-friendly hotels for half-term breaks in South East England
Complimentary Fourth Night Special Offer
Your perfect safe staycation. Escape to Hartwell House for your long-awaited break and explore ninety acres of landscaped parkland with lake and follies. Stay in beautiful surroundings with all measures put in place for your well-being and safety. Relax and enjoy four nights to include the fourth night with complimentary accommodation. Terms & Conditions: Subject to availability, excluding Bank Holidays and weekends. Complimentary Accommodation only on the fourth night, which excludes breakfast on this day. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer or discount. Not valid for The Old Rectory. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.
Comments about Hartwell House