Good Hotel Guide Review
Visitors this year were ‘very happy with everything’ at this former stately home set in landscaped gardens and parkland on the edge of the Chilterns. The Grade I listed, part Jacobean, part Georgian building, filled with original antiques and paintings, was restored by Historic House Hotels, and given to the National Trust in 2008. Grand but ‘relaxing’ public rooms, with damask-covered walls and ornate stuccoed ceilings, are perfect for ‘tea and cakes’ on arrival. The ‘sumptuous’ bedrooms and suites are mostly in the main house. The first-floor ‘Royal Suites’ (the exiled King Louis XVIII of France lived here from 1809 to 1814) have a spacious bathroom, a sitting room and south-facing views. ‘Royal’ rooms are equally plush; some have a four-poster bed. ‘Classic rooms’ have a sofa, writing desk and king-size bed, but one older reader was ‘unable to use the over-bath shower’. Dinner in the formal but unstuffy dining room might be crab and courgette cannelloni followed by pan-roasted fillet of cod, cooked to perfection by chef Daniel Richardson and his team. ‘An awesome place to stay.’ (Geoffrey Bignell, and others). Hartwell House is a member of Pride of Britain hotels.
48. 16 in stable block, some on ground floor, 1 (main house) suitable for disabled.
all year, closed for lunch Mon/Tues.
great hall, morning room, drawing room, library, 2 dining rooms, function facilities, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (swimming pool), 94 acres of gardens and parkland, tennis, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
not under 6.
allowed in some annexe bedrooms with access to grounds.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B single £210–£250, double £220–£780. À la carte £47–£53, Bill of Fare menu £55–£67.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Lady: 10 romantic UK hotels for Valentine’s Day
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels
- Visit South East England: 5 hotels for spring flowers in South East England
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Visit South Eastern England: 6 family-friendly hotels for half-term breaks in South East England
- Visit South East England: 5 great hotels within two hours of London
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
Complimentary Fourth Night Special Offer
Your perfect safe staycation. Escape to Hartwell House for your long-awaited break and explore ninety acres of landscaped parkland with lake and follies. Stay in beautiful surroundings with all measures put in place for your well-being and safety. Relax and enjoy four nights to include the fourth night with complimentary accommodation. Terms & Conditions: Subject to availability, excluding Bank Holidays and weekends. Complimentary Accommodation only on the fourth night, which excludes breakfast on this day. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer or discount. Not valid for The Old Rectory. To benefit from this offer, please mention The Good Hotel Guide when booking.