Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A highlight of our journey. It was everything one could expect, in a historic setting.’ A reader on a hotel tour this year was impressed by this Grade I listed Elizabethan mansion-turned-hotel-and-spa, in parkland with views of Snowdonia and Conwy Castle. In the care of the National Trust, it is ‘reminiscent of an earlier age’, with ‘staff in plaid waistcoats carrying your bags and bringing tea’. But the ethos is relaxed: ‘They went above what could be expected, providing a simple lunch when we arrived early, and letting us take an early breakfast to make a golf tee time nearby.’ A ‘huge, well-furnished’ suite had ‘a small sitting room, a bathroom with bath and separate shower room’, views over the Arts and Crafts gardens. In the fine-dining restaurant, John Williams cooks such elaborate dishes as poached and grilled saddle of venison, celeriac cannelloni, herb gnocchi, tarragon jus. There are vegan options; plain grilled fish or steak on request. ‘Our Bulgarian waitresses were excellent, funny, efficient and anxious to look after us.’ ‘We recommend this to anyone who is in the area, even if you need to go out of your way to get there.’ (Sally Mehalko, DH)
The Royal Welsh Way
31. 16 in cottages, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year, restaurant closed Mon and Tues lunch.
hall, drawing room, library, bar, dining room, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 220-acre park (gardens, croquet), spa (swimming pool), ground floor wheelchair accessible.
no under-6s in hotel, or under-8s in spa.
allowed in some cottages by prior arrangement.
Preferred cards: MC and Visa.
per room B&B single £180–£430, double £200–£490, D,B&B double £280–£580. À la carte £63. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Bodysgallen Hall and Spa
- Travel Hack: 10 quirky hotels in Wales
- The Travel Hack: 10 of the best hotels in Wales
- The i: Ten of Britain’s best hotel gardens
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Huffington Post USA: The most beautiful hotels in Wales