Good Hotel Guide Review
Not quite the back of beyond’, but this restaurant-with-rooms ‘in a very pleasant, quiet, rural location’ is well worth the trek, according to trusted Guide readers. ‘Food is the main event’ at Susan and Bryan Webb’s Michelin-starred retreat, ‘and the menu makes you want to stay longer to try more of his cooking’. Backed by ‘spot-on’ service from ‘professional, friendly’ staff, the chef marries crab and langoustine with avocado salsa, calves’ sweetbreads with bubble and squeak, panna cotta with blood orange and grappa, taking advantage of seasonal Welsh produce. Away from the epicurean delights, the ‘sympathetically extended’ Georgian property has ‘tastefully decorated’ guest rooms. ‘There was plenty of storage, two armchairs, a very comfortable bed. Our bathroom had great towels, a walk-in shower and freestanding bath, but no shaving mirror or soap dish in the shower. Minor irritations.’ Overseeing everything is Susan Webb, who is ‘very much in evidence’, ensuring that events runs like clockwork. Breakfast brings ‘good coffee’, several ‘freshly cooked’ options. Perhaps, mused one guest, the excellent bread served at dinner could be used for morning toast. (DH, and others)
13. 3 with separate entrance, 1, on ground floor (garden suite), suitable for disabled.
all year except Mon/Tues, and last 2 weeks Jan, restaurant closed Wed/Thurs lunch.
2 lounges, bar, 2 dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 3-acre garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms (£10 per night), not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £180–£250, D,B&B £320–£430. Set dinner £70, tasting menus £85–£95, à la carte £70. 1-night bookings refused Christmas.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Travel Hack: 10 of the best hotels in Wales
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
- The Lady: 10 of the best restaurants with rooms for an autumn break
- Country Life: 10 of the best dog-friendly country hotels in Britain
- Liverpool Echo: Twenty beautiful hotels within two hours of Liverpool to book for Valentine’s Day
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- Huffington Post USA: Ten of the best UK gourmet hotels for foodies
- The Standard: 10 best gourmet hotels in the UK
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide